Monday, September 7, 2015

Laboring Day

Labor Day, like 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc. is a pretty meaningless holiday if you're a single unemployed person.  Oooh, you get a 3-day weekend!  I have a 7-day weekend.  So what?  All it means to me is that Panera Bread or Biggby Coffee might have shortened hours and parks will probably have more people.  Actually Labor Day has even less meaning because at least there's an actual purpose behind 4th of July (independence) and Memorial Day (fallen soldier) while what good is a holiday honoring labor when you're unemployed?

Anyway, I've been disappointed in that I haven't taken my one job--writing--as seriously as maybe I should.  I set my alarm to go off at 9am every morning Monday-Friday but 90% of the time I'll just turn it off and go back to sleep.  That usually means I don't get much done before lunch, so then in the end I work maybe 4-5 hours on a story.  Which is a lot to you people but you people have real jobs to take up 8+ hours of your day.

The whole reason I set the alarm to 9am was so I'd actually get my fat ass out of bed and do some writing in the morning, eat lunch, then do some writing in the afternoon.  You know, do like 7-8 hours of it.  It just hasn't worked out that way.  I guess because like dieting and exercise my willpower sucks.  If I can just blow the alarm off then I mostly likely will.  Because I hate getting up "early" which is like before 11am.  If I have a job interview or doctor's appointment or something pretty much mandatory then I'll make myself get up.  Otherwise, about the only way to do it is to offer myself a carrot (not quite literally) by saying like I have to get up and out the door to get breakfast at McDonald's before 10:30.  And starting in October I don't even have to worry about that anymore.

There you go; I'm probably the laziest most prolific writer ever.

In honor of Labor Day, I decided to make my Eric Filler book My Mistress Changed Me Into a Pregnant Girl free today.  Labor Day...pregnancy...get it?  So you can go do that.  I always say if you're not going to read it just download it and help bump my bestseller number.  And ignore that stupid 1-star review saying it's the wrong book.  That problem was fixed about two hours later but of course Amazon won't delete that.  If you wanted to do me a big, humongous favor that costs you nothing you could post a counter 5-star review saying it's the right book.  No pressure.

http://www.amazon.com/Mistress-Changed-Into-Pregnant-Girl-ebook/dp/B00U3Z4UBW

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I haven't been able to sleep in like that in years. On the weekend, 7:30 a.m. feels like sleeping in. Anyway, 4 to 5 hours of writing a day is a lot. Writing isn't the same as other jobs. It's hard to keep the creativity coming past 5 hours.

Arion said...

I know the feeling. I guess when you don't have a boss to report to waking up early doesn't seem as urgent. Still, I agree with Cindy. 4-5 hours of writing is great. I wish I could do that!

Pat, I was wondering if you'd be interested in reviewing my comic? You've already read it and I'm trying to persuade as many bloggers as I can to write a review about it.

Cheers.

Maurice Mitchell said...

7-8 hours is a great goal Pat and I can't imagine doing it. More power to you Man.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...