Friday, December 6, 2019

Swapsgiving: The Holiday That Never Was

Like when I came up with the idea of Swapnado, the idea of Swapsgiving seemed so obvious that I don't know why I hadn't thought of it years ago.  Thanksgiving...Swapsgiving...seems pretty obvious, right?  Why'd it take me 5 years to realize that?

The problem is the idea for this came to me in early November and I still had a little bit to finish up on what I was working on.  And even then I had a title and a general idea (something about gender swapping during Thanksgiving) but I still had to chase the idea down the rabbit hole.

The "pantser" types would say, "Just start writing and figure it out later!"  But I didn't really know what I wanted to write about yet.  For a story like this you need to set the parameters:  who's being swapped?  How?  Why?  Is it going to have a happy ending where they learn something?  Or is it going to be one of those dark endings that only I appreciate?

So there was a lot to think about and I'd just had two teeth pulled out so I wasn't exactly feeling at my best.  But I did finally come up with a rough idea involving turkey that was somehow poisoned.  And...the idea never really got off the ground.

I kept procrastinating until it was a couple of days before Thanksgiving and then there was no time to write, edit, and get the thing approved by Amazon before Turkey Day.  And what's the point of releasing a Thanksgiving-themed story after Thanksgiving?  And I figured I might as well start devoting my energy to a Christmas-themed story.  I've done a Christmas-themed one every year since 2014 so it's kind of a holiday tradition.  Ha.

I did write on Swapsgiving one Saturday before the holiday.  Here's a little taste of this turkey:


For some people the best part of Thanksgiving is seeing family.  For others it’s the parades.  Or others the football games.  Or nowadays for some it’s the shopping after the meal.

But for me, the best part of Thanksgiving is always the smell of the turkey cooking in the oven.  If I could get that smell in an air freshener for my car I would in a heartbeat.  One whiff of that heavenly aroma and I’m transported back to Mom’s kitchen, where every Thanksgiving she would roast a turkey that was usually twenty pounds or more.

Dad, my older brother Skip, and I would watch TV on the couch while the smell of roast turkey filled the air.  Within an hour all I could think of was biting into a big, juicy chunk of white meat.  Then there would be hours of torment as that smell lingered while Mom prepared the rest of the dinner and we waited for the relatives to show up.

Angie isn’t the cook Mom was, but as I read the morning paper, I detect that same lovely smell.  I put down the newspaper to sniff at the air and like a cartoon dog my mouth opens for my tongue to loll out.  I use a corner of the paper to wipe drool from my mouth.

Angie laughs at me from the doorway.  “Easy, boy.  It’s not going to be ready for a couple of hours yet.”

“It smells awesome.  Just like Mom’s.”

“Hopefully it tastes better.  No offense, but your mom’s turkey was usually dry.”

“Sacrilege!” I cry out.  I grab her wrist to pull her down onto the couch.  Angie’s lips don’t taste like turkey; they are a lot sweeter.

Far too soon she pushes me back.  “I have to get to work on the other stuff.”  She taps me in the chest with a finger.  “Don’t you go picking at that turkey.  You’ll get sick.”

“I know.  I’m not a dog,” I growl.

“Sometimes I wonder,” she teases.

I gather up the paper to get back to reading.  This is no ordinary Thanksgiving dinner:  my thesis adviser, Dr. Montcalm, is coming over with his wife.  I need his support to finally get my doctorate so I can then start to practice psychology.  And I’ll be able to insist people call me Dr. Hughes.  Then I’ll be able to pay back the hundreds of thousands in student loans.  Plus I won’t have to rely on Angie to earn most of the money, which even if this isn’t the 1950s would still ease my male pride.
I search the paper for some topics to discuss with Dr. Montcalm.  The old man is a real gossip hound; he loves trying to analyze famous people--politicians, celebrities, and even athletes--through media articles.  He once spent an entire hour discussing whether or not Meryl Streep has a narcissistic personality disorder.

I try to read, but nothing sticks.  Not with that turkey smell tormenting me.  I desperately want to go into the kitchen to rip off just a little chunk, but I can’t with Angie still in there, making the sides.  Her mashed potatoes usually end up lumpy and her stuffing bland, so I only eat enough to reassure her.  It gives me more room for that delicious turkey.

A half-hour of torture goes by until I’m finally saved by the bell--or the buzz of Angie’s phone.  I hear her answer it.  Her voice starts to get farther away and I hear the steps creak as she goes upstairs.
After eight years of dating and marriage, she knows me well enough to shout, “Hank, stay away from that turkey!”

“I’m nowhere near it!” I call back.  Angie is the only one allowed to call me “Hank;” everyone else I insist call me Henry.  It’s a privilege she’s earned and no one else has yet.

I wait another minute before I get up to slink into the kitchen.  I use a potholder to open the oven slowly to avoid making any loud noises.  The oven is a hideous kiwi-green holdover from the ‘70s that came with the house we inherited from Angie’s grandmother three years ago.  The original idea was that we would move in to serve as caretakers for the old woman, but before we could move in, she died in her sleep.  We threw out the bed she died in, but everything else we kept; we couldn’t afford to furnish an entire house on our own. 

As the door opens, the turkey scent washes over me.  I close my eyes and take it in like someone might take in an ocean breeze on a tropical beach.  As much as I’d like to bask in the smell, I only have a couple of minutes before Angie comes back.

With the potholder I ease the oven rack out a few inches--the most the crusty old rack will move.  I can’t pick from the top or Angie will be sure to see it.  I can’t go too deep as the meat inside isn’t cooked yet.  But near the bottom will be hot and almost invisible.  If Angie does see anything missing she might think it just broke off.  Plus at the bottom you get some of that grease that’s not good for the waistline, but so, so delectable. 

White meat is my favorite, but I can get by with a scrap of dark meat.  Like a hard-core drug fiend I’m not too particular about the purity; I just need something to sate my burning need.  I rip off a postage stamp-sized chunk of meat and skin still dripping with grease.  I blow on it a few seconds before I pop it into my mouth.

As I chew I push the rack back into the oven and then close the door.  The perfect crime--

I’ve just swallowed that warm, greasy piece of goodness when my stomach roils.  I double over and gag, but nothing comes out.  I gag a couple of more times before pain seizes my entire body.  I try to scream, but I can only let out a choked gasp.

I drop to my knees on the cool checkerboard tile of the kitchen floor.  I’ve never in my entire life felt pain as intense as this.  It’s like someone lit me on fire.  I let out another choked gasp as I hear--and feel--bones snapping.  What’s happening to me?  I think of those old horror movies where a guy changes into a werewolf; that can’t be happening to me, can it?  Through the pain I can’t see any hair growing on my hands; if anything there’s less.  My nails are getting longer, but not like claws.  
They’re long and glossy like Angie’s after she goes to the nail salon.

While my hands aren’t getting hairy, waves of dark hair fall over my face, getting longer until the ends coil up on the floor.  I manage to tilt my head just enough to see the top of my T-shirt has been pushed out by two big, round breasts.  I have cleavage!  The breasts, the hair, and the nails all give me an idea of what I’m becoming.

I’m turning into a woman!

***

The pain finally ends; I’m so exhausted that I collapse onto the floor.  I ought to try to get out of here before Angie sees me--and so I can take stock of what’s happened to me--but I’m too weak to move.  I pant like a hot canine and like a canine I moan pathetically.  I can’t see much with the hair that’s fallen over my face over like a veil, but I hear the creak of the stairs.

I have to get out of here!  My mind screams at me to move, but I can’t do anything.  I continue to lay sprawled on the floor like a rug as I hear Angie shout, “Oh my God!  Who the hell are you?”

I can only moan in reply.

The last thing I expect is for Angie to kick me.  Or to kick me again and again.  “Who are you?  
Where’s my husband?  Did you kill him, you goddamned tweaker?”

The last insult makes me realize she thinks I’m a junkie who’s broken into her kitchen.  The neighborhood isn’t the best, so it’s a slightly plausible scenario, though it’s not likely a junkie would be wearing her husband’s clothes and would have passed out on the floor.

It’s hard to find my voice with all the pain I’ve endured--and what Angie is putting me through--but I manage to wheeze, “It...me.”

“Me who?” she shouts.  When I can’t answer right away, she kicks me again.  “Me who?  You got ten seconds before I call the cops.”

“Hank!” I squeak.

“Yeah, right, lady.  You are definitely not Hank.”

“Clothes.”

She stops kicking me to squint at me.  “You’re wearing his clothes.  So what?  That doesn’t mean anything.”

If I could get out more than one or two words I might be able to say something to convince her of who I am.  There has to be some code word I can speak to make her believe me.  Something that would symbolize the connection between us.  I manage to wave vaguely and then spit out, “You...me...grandma.”

“What?”

“You...me...grandma.”

Her eyes narrow again as she considers what I said.  I’ve recovered enough strength to add, “Live...together.”

“How do you know about that?”

“I...Hank.”

“Yeah, right.”

I’ve apparently gotten small and light enough that Angie can grab the front of my T-shirt.  The breasts sticking out from my chest look even bigger when I’m standing; the nipples are clearly visible against the fabric.  I feel my face turning warm with embarrassment as Angie looks down at me.  “You are definitely not my Hank.”

“Am too.”

“You sure as hell don’t look like him.  Or any him.”

“I know.”

“So, what, you’re my Hank and all the sudden you turned into a girl?”

“Yes.”

“How?  Your fairy godmother?  Space aliens?”

It’s a good question.  I think about the chain of events that led to me ending up on the floor in a girl’s body.  “Turkey.”

“Turkey?  What about it?”

“Eat turkey.”

She stares at me.  The last thing I expect is for her to laugh.  “You ate the turkey and turned into a girl?  For real?”

“Yes!”

“Uh-huh.  Well, I warned Hank not to eat it.  I just thought he’d get sick.”

“It true!” I shout.  Tears start to cloud my vision.  Why doesn’t my wife believe me?  We’re supposed to have an unshakeable bond of trust, but the first time I end up on the floor looking like a girl she kicks me and berates me and refuses to trust me.

“Oh, Jesus,” Angie grumbles.  It’s hard for me to walk on my own, so Angie pretty much drags me into the living room.  She pushes me down on the couch like I’m a rag doll and like a rag doll there’s nothing I can do but flop down on the cushions.  “You are really fucked up, lady.”

“Hank!”

“I’m not calling you Hank, lady.  Why don’t you give me a real name?”

“Hank!”

“Bullshit.”  She holds up her phone.  “Give me a real name or I’m calling the cops.  I mean it.”

“I am Hank!”

“Then prove it, bitch.”

“How?”

“Where did Hank propose to me?”

“Central Park.”

“Good guess.  What song did we dance to at our wedding?”

“Endless Love.”

Her eyes narrow.  “OK, that’s two for two.  But you could have been a guest at the wedding.  Let’s try something personal.  There’s one thing Hank does in bed that I really, really like.  What is it?”

“Nibble nipple,” I say.

She puts the phone in her pocket and then shakes her head.  “I guess you’re either Hank or some girl he’s coached real well.  And if he told you about that last one just to play a joke I’m going to kill him.”

“No joke.”

She studies me for a moment before she says, “Stay there.  I’ll be right back.”

I can’t go anywhere even if I want to.  I lie on the couch, idly watching the Macy’s parade on TV.  There’s some school band marching by when Angie bends in front of me.  She puts something to my lips.  I soon realize it’s orange juice.

“Thanks.”

“You’re all clammy,” she says, wiping sweat from my forehead.

“Tired.”

“I bet.  I mean, changing into a woman would be tiring, wouldn’t it?”

“Yes.”  My exhausted body manages the energy to yawn.  “Sleepy.”

1 comment:

Maurice Mitchell said...

That's a twist all right. I never thought of these swaps as physically draining but they would be I'm sure.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...