Friday, March 15, 2024

A to Z Challenge Topic Reveal 2024

 For the past few years, I usually have my A to Z topic thought of well in advance.  As the 2023 Challenge approached, I had my entries for that year done, but I hadn't really thought of anything for the next year--ie, this year now.

In 2021 I just threw something together with Star Wars Black Series figures.  So then in 2022 I did Marvel Legends figures, which were also by Hasbro.  Then for 2023 I figured since I did Marvel, why not do DC Multiverse figures?  So I did. 

But that was pretty much as far as I could go with that because there wasn't another line of action figures I collected that would be broad enough to do 26 entries.  It was time for something new!

What else could I do?  I did stuff for some of my books in at least 3 different years.  I did books turned into movies one year.  I did Transformers, Robotech, and GI Joe in three other years.  I prattled endlessly about Rifftrax/MST3K movies in the the first pandemic year.  What else could I do?

I thought of music, but I doubt anyone listens to anything I listen to.  Which maybe wouldn't matter, but it just seemed kind of pointless to talk about stuff no one will want to listen to.  For me, music is something personal; everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

And as a practical matter, it's hard to share music on here.  I mean I could write entries and put YouTube video links to stuff and by the time the entries post those videos might get taken down.  Then I'm kinda screwed.  So it just didn't seem like a great idea to me.

Then I thought of something else:  video games!  At first I thought of just doing just old Atari games.  Then I decided to open it up a little more to other games I like from NES, SNES, PS2, and PC.  By the time this posts, maybe I'll throw phone apps in there.  (Actually I know at least one I played on my phone but it's also on other platforms.)

So there you go, that's the theme.  Unlike the last couple of years where it was sort of annoying that I wrote my entries long in advance and then Hasbro/McFarlane would come out with new figures to add to my entries, this is pretty static so I can do it long in advance and not worry.  Set it and forget it!

If you want a preview, a lot of the games I'll talk about are in this entry on my old blog.

One night I found this Retro Games site that lets you play a lot of old NES, 7800, SNES, PS1, etc games in your browser.  It was pretty neat and let me play some of the older games I mention and get screenshots.

One game that didn't make the cut is Tecmo Super Bowl III.  Lots of people remember the original Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES (there were even car commercials parodying it a few years ago) but this last sequel for the SNES was my favorite.  The 49ers had won the Super Bowl the  year before so I played them a lot  to use their good defense.  Then I made my own offensive players (except the offensive line) who were pretty awesome.  And I found that in the first and fourth quarters it was really easy to do an onside kick that would usually let you keep the ball and run up the score.  I had a few go-to plays in the passing game though the running game was never quite as good as it could have been with Barry Sanders or Emmett Smith.

One night on that Retro Games site I played an exhibition between the Lions and Packers.  Barry Sanders ran for 239 yards and 3 touchdowns--including the winner in OT--while Scott Mitchell threw for 0 yards and 3 sacks.  And the Lions blew a 14-0 lead in the final 2 minutes, which included giving up a 2-point conversion.  Only a missed field goal by the Packers in OT let the Lions come back to win.  So it was pretty true to the usual Lions experience.

That's the caliber of story you can expect.  So...see you in May?

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good ol' Barry Sanders.
Video games sounds like a great idea. A trip down memory lane.
Music is very personal. I will post album reviews, but I know most of my followers don't listen to metal and prog. Although one follower did pick up an album I recommended and now really likes the band, so you never know.

Mystee said...

Stopping in to take a look at your theme and wish you a happy March and a wonderful April. Can't wait to read more during April! ♥

Hallie said...

Great theme choice for the A to Z challenge! Looking forward to the rest of your alphabet journey!
My topic (here: https://gritandgrace2015.blogspot.com/2024/03/atozchallenge-theme-announcement.html ) may not have as much appeal for everyone, but I’m going to give it a try 🙂

Narayana Rao K.V.S.S. said...

Welcome to A to Z 2024 Blogging.
My theme for this year A to Z Blogging is: Excellent Industry 4.0 Implemented Companies.
A to Z 2024 Blogging - Theme - McKinsey - WEF Lighthouse Smart Manufacturing Industry 4.0 Plants - Factories - Industrial Engineering 4.0

Random Musings said...

Looking forward to a trip down memory lane with the old games
Debbie

Torie Lennox said...

I do enjoy retro games - they have a special charm missing from today's games, though they all have their place. I can't wait to see what you highlight!

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Interesting theme. Good luck!

Ronel visiting for Theme Reveal for A to Z Blogging Challenge 2024

Whispering Peace said...

Fantastic theme you've chosen for the A to Z challenge! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the next letters of the alphabet.
https://whiskeyandwhispers.blogspot.com/2024/03/unveiling-my-atozchallenge-theme-genre.html

JazzFeathers said...

It's almost ten year than I take part in the challenge and I don't think I've ever seen a theme like this. Bizzare, but true!

Salem Devina said...

Fantastic theme reveal! I can't wait to explore your posts during the A to Z challenge in April. Wishing you all the best as you embark on this creative journey. Here’s a link to mine - https://hellfireandchaos.blogspot.com/2024/03/atozchallenge-theme-announcement.html

Aurorah / Never Saw it Coming said...

Exciting theme reveal! I'm looking forward to following your A-to-Z journey throughout April. Best of luck with the challenge. I’ve restarted my blog and deleted all the old content since I’ve been away for about 10 years and am coming back with the A-to-Z Challenge, hopefully it’ll give me some blog theme motivation and some dedicated readers. My theme is here: https://illusionsofchaos.blogspot.com/2024/03/hello-again-atozchallenge-theme-reveal.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...