Wednesday, April 17, 2024

A to Z Challenge: Oregon Trail

 In the early 90s, Oregon Trail was one of those games you could play a lot on school computers because it was "educational."  Though in all actuality, I don't think my schools really played it that much.  I remember we had this other game in middle school called Life and Death where you got to be a surgeon trying to remove someone's appendix or other stuff.  Though if you're a sadist, it's more fun to torture and kill the patient by not using anesthetic and then cutting them up.

Anyway, Oregon Trail was about trying to guide a family of pioneers from Independence, Missouri or wherever to Oregon.  Along the way you'd have to worry about food, disease (you have died of dysentery!), and Native American attacks.  It was pretty tough to beat, especially if you only had a few minutes at school to play before you had to let someone else have a turn.

There were I think a few sequels and maybe a revival more recently.  In a more recent American Dad episode, the Smith family is trapped in the game (or a game like it) and Klaus or Roger has to save them by winning the game.

It wasn't a big deal to me but it was more so for other kids from the 90s.  Maybe my sisters.  So there.

Another O game I did play was One-on-One Basketball featuring very crude versions of Dr. J (Julius Erving) & Larry Bird.  You can play as Dr. J or Larry Bird and play the other guy in one-on-one basketball, which is only half the court.  It can get boring pretty quick but the fun thing is when you dunk, you can smash the backboard and then this guy comes out and yells at you while he cleans it up:

By the time this came out for the 7800, I'm pretty sure Dr. J had retired and Larry Bird had only a few years left as a player.  Celebrity endorsements like this are why the 7800 never came close to surpassing the NES.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Never played it, but I know there is a version of it in the Apple group of games.
The only video game out when I was in Jr. High was Pong and our school certainly didn't have it for us to play.

Maurice Mitchell said...

That little guy cleaning up is hilarious! I wish they included him in more games as a bonus. Oregan Trail was my first video game at school and I still love it. Classic

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...