Thursday, April 14, 2016

A to Z Challenge: Lord of the Rings

I read the Lord of the Rings books back in high school.  I never really got sucked into the whole Middle Earth thing like some people.  I didn't even see the first movie (Fellowship of the Ring) in the theater.  But then on Christmas I went with my sisters to see The Two Towers, the name of which was kind of bad timing in this was like a year or two after 9/11.  Anyway, I really liked that movie, especially at the end when Gandalf comes riding to the rescue with the cavalry and they're backlit by the sun and everything.  That was cool.  Return of the King was good, but maybe not as good as I was hoping it would be.  I haven't ever watched the Hobbit movies, but they're not really part of this.

Anyway, I wish I remembered the books better.  Obviously even though the director's cut versions are like 5 hours long apiece, they couldn't cram everything from the books in.  And there was stuff changed or rearranged for the movies.  Whatever.  Some years ago I bought a complete set of the books but I still have them in the shrink wrap.  I keep saying I'll get to rereading them but I never do.

You've probably seen the movies and read the books too, so which do you think is better?  I'm sure there are endless debates on this online.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I love the Lord of the Ring movies. Especially the first one and prefer the movies over the books.

Tony Laplume said...

I read the books for the first time just before the movies were released. And it's one of the few times I've had a drastic problem with changes a movie's made from the source material. It's one of the reasons I've never liked the second two movies versus how much I love the first...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...