Monday, April 25, 2016

A to Z Challenge: Up in the Air

I had to really wrack my brain for a book/movie to use for U.  Fortunately when I checked on IMDB I saw the movie Up in the Air was based on a book, so there you go.  Problem solved.

Obviously I haven't read the book.  I mean, I didn't know it existed.  The movie from 2009 starred George Clooney as Ryan Bingham, a guy who goes around firing people for a living--as opposed to Ryan Bingham the alt-country musician.  Basically huge companies when they need to lay people off bring him in to try to smooth things over.  Unfortunately for me no Clooney showed up to lay me off.  Too bad.

Then he takes on a young assistant to show her the ropes.  She wants to modernize the business to use virtual chats and so forth, but he's resistant because he likes flying around the country.  He has racked up so many miles on American Airlines that he nearly has elite "platinum" status, which only like 6 other people had done.  Along the way he gets involved with a woman and falls in love, though it turns out she does not share that emotion.

It's a good movie, with a lot of complex stuff going on.  Not all that quick and snappy, but a good, involving movie.  The end is kind of a bummer, though.

BONUS:  I had a really hard time finding a K entry and then of course yesterday someone mentioned The Kite Runner and I realized that would have been the perfect K entry because I've read the book and seen the movie.  Both were really good.  I'd recommend the book because it's deeper, but if you don't want to invest the time, the movie gives you most of the gist.

2 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I have no idea what Platinum status is, but if only six people in the world have it, it must be pretty spectacular. It's probably just like a better seat or something like that.

PT Dilloway said...

He gets a special card and he has like a million frequent flier miles. Basically he could go around the world like 40 times without paying a dime.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...