Monday, December 11, 2017

Indie Bookmas Day 4: Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix

This one is more small published than indie published.  Anyway, if you've worked in an IKEA or just visited it, you probably know what an annoying, confusing experience it can be.  Now imagine being locked in there at night with things going bump.  That's the concept of Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix.

Something strange is happening at the Orsk furniture superstore in Cleveland, Ohio. Every morning, employees arrive to find broken Kjerring bookshelves, shattered Glans water goblets, and smashed Liripip wardrobes. Sales are down, security cameras reveal nothing, and store managers are panicking.

To unravel the mystery, three employees volunteer to work a nine-hour dusk-till-dawn shift. In the dead of the night, they’ll patrol the empty showroom floor, investigate strange sights and sounds, and encounter horrors that defy the imagination.

A traditional haunted house story in a thoroughly contemporary setting, Horrorstör comes packaged in the form of a glossy mail order catalog, complete with product illustrations, a home delivery order form, and a map of Orsk’s labyrinthine showroom.

This is another I can't really recommend.  It started out as a fun light read, like Scooby-Doo in an IKEA.  I wish it had stayed there because about halfway through it turns into this dark gore-fest.  It wasn't really what I was hoping for from it.  but I've had people pissed about that with some of my books, though maybe not to this extent.

You can get it for $2.99 from Amazon and other retailers!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

It seems to have interested a lot of readers. I went to an IKEA once and was totally confused, and I didn't like having to walk miles through the store just to get out. I guess I can see how someone might get trapped in there..lol.

stephen Hayes said...

I'm not a fan of IKEA and probably wouldn't enjoy this story.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I've gotten "lost" in IKEA a few times and can imagine how terrifying or would be. Too bad it doesn't live up to the hype.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

This sounds like a compelling idea. Certainly IKEA is scary enough. I thought it would be a horror novel about a guy attacked by poorly constructed wooden furniture.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...