Wednesday, March 15, 2023

A to Z Challenge Topic Reveal

AtoZChallenge theme reveal 2023 #atozchallenge

 I already mentioned my A to Z Challenge topic last year in the Reflections entry.  Since in 2022 I did Marvel Legends figures, I figured why not do DC Multiverse figures in 2023?

DC's superhero figures have not had as coherent a history as Marvel's.  The Marvel Legends series changed manufacturers once but has pretty much been the same since 2002.  Whereas DC's have changed names at least once and manufacturers at least once and besides the DC Multiverse (formerly DC Universe) series there are others like the DC Direct series that could be purchased from the company--or Amazon, eBay, Mercari, etc.  And then about 2020, they switched from Mattel to McFarlane.  The irony is that McFarlane is owned by and named for the guy who became famous for first drawing Spider-Man comics and then creating Spawn, who was kind of an anti-DC hero.

Besides just changing the packaging, the McFarlane figures are an inch taller than the Mattel ones, 7 inches vs. 6 inches.  In a way that's nice as you can put the McFarlane ones on the back of the shelf and the Mattel ones at the front and everyone is still able to be seen.  That is if you just jam them all together like I do:



I haven't done an official count, but I'd guess I have more Marvel ones than DC, mostly because they're easier to get.  Especially with the death of toy stores, DC figures were harder to find, getting a lot less shelf space than Marvel ones.  They probably got more shelf space at Ollie's or Five Below than they got in real stores.  Though the McFarlane ones were somewhat more available in Walmart and such--at least some of them.  There are still some figures you could hardly ever find if you wanted.

It's always funny to me in Shazam when at one point he's getting thrown through a toy store by Dr. Sivana and you see these rows and rows of DC Multiverse figures, which you'd never see in real life except maybe at a Warner Brothers or DC outlet store or gift shop or something like that.

I suppose it probably wouldn't be surprising that the figures I have the most of are:

  1. Batman
  2. Azrael
  3. Batgirl
  4. Superman 
  5. Wonder Woman

That's DC's "Trinity" and two of my favorite characters.  Anyway, for this A to Z I mostly took the pictures off Amazon or eBay so they won't be all blurry like some last year.  But most of the ones I show I do actually own, except a few entries where I kind of had to stretch to find something.

Anyway, that's next month and since the entries are already written, it should happen even if I'm dead or in a coma or something.  So long as Blogger or the rest of the planet isn't destroyed.

There's a cheery thought.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You have a lot of figures. But that will lend well to your theme next month.

TWW said...

looking forward to this, my younger brother collects and manipulates his.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

Looking forward to this! I love toys, collectibles and trivia. :-)

http://www.cdgallantking.ca/2023/03/a-to-z-blog-challenge-2023-theme-reveal.html

Cindy said...

It can be hard for me to comment on action figures because I know so little about them, but I will be reading.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

NICE! Big DC fan here. The one I have the most of is Zatanna, so you know I'll be here for the very end at least! ;)
The Other Side | Blogging A to Z Theme Reveal: Doctor Who

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...