Monday, July 24, 2023

Time to Just Say No to More Lazy Reboots

While I loved Futurama in its first incarnation and the second incarnation was good too, I decided I am not going to watch the third incarnation on Hulu.  Really I think it's time to just say no to more IP-mining reboots.  Maybe it's a little arbitrary, but as Picard said in First Contact, "The line must be drawn here and no further!"  I mean, you've got to have a limit sometime right?  Right, people who have watched The Simpsons for 35 years or 45 "seasons" of Survivor or The Bachelor or whatever bullshit show the Kardashians are on now?  Some people will endlessly swallow dreck but I don't want to be one of those.

A big part of my decision was watching a few episodes of the lazy Beavis and Butt-Head reboot.  It made me mad how bad it was.  Just so lazy and not funny at all.  And then seeing ads for Futurama, it seems like they're not really doing anything different with the show.  And I think of Beavis and Butt-Head and all those mediocre seasons of The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, and Robot Chicken I choked down until I could stomach no more and I think, "Why the hell would I want to do this again?"

There would probably be a few decent episodes and yet would they really be much better than classic episodes?  And you get that thing where if they don't replace the voice actors so they sound completely different then they still sound different because the original actors are older and especially if you're listening for it you can tell.  And like the Beavis and Butt-Head soft reboot it just seems like you're giving me the same thing I already watched for about 10 seasons.  

Now if you were giving me something new, like a Futurama The Next Generation thing then I might be more curious.  But just doing the same thing makes it seem like more lazy IP flogging.  I don't need to see it because I've already seen it.  Been there, done that.  Give me something new!

Not to say that all IP flogging is bad.  Properties like Star Trek, Star Wars, and Marvel it can be fine because the shows they've come out with are usually different enough from each other that it's not all the same.  At this point with so many options, why should I just watch a lazy IP-flogging reboot?  But it's Futurama and almost everyone is back!  So?  I can just watch the old episodes on Hulu or I have the Fox incarnation on DVD.  When you do something different, then maybe I'll tune in.  Until then, it's dead to me.  That goes for Beavis and Butt-Head, King of the Hill, and anything else from the 90s they might want to bring back with no real creativity.

That's my line in the sand.  Where is yours?

(PS:  If you think I won't stick to my line in the sand, I still haven't watched more than a couple of minutes of Clerks II after I swore to myself never to watch it.  I did inadvertently see the opening couple of minutes on Pluto TV a few months ago because I didn't know what it was.  I quickly turned it off so I still haven't really watched it or obviously Clerks III either.  It's a lot easier to stick to a resolution like that than if I said I wasn't going to eat French fries or drink soda or something like that.)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The reboot of Beavis and Butt-Head was bad. They also rebooted The Kids in the Hall and the guys just aren't funny anymore. Like you, I want something new.

Cindy said...

They must think that reboots don't need to be good because a lot of people will watch it regardless. It's more important to get it out there ASAP and make money. If only people would stop watching bad reboots.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...