Friday, August 10, 2018

Resistance to Resistance

The second week of May I took my "staycation," or a week off from work where I didn't really go anywhere.  Part of that was I finally got around to writing Resistance, the third part of the Gender Swap Heroes series.  August 2017 I wrote the second part and in the epilogue I wrote a scene to set up the third book.  In that, Major Roger Stevens wakes up badly injured in the hospital and a mysterious woman offers him a serum that will give him superpowers so he can stop the superpowered people who put him in the hospital.  And he eagerly accepts.

I wrote up some notes and then just filed those away for a while.  The idea was I wanted to build up some material so I could write the book and not have to worry about going weeks with no new releases.  I didn't really intend for it to go like eight months but one thing or another kept coming up and eventually I figured my staycation would be a good time to get a good start on it.

Maybe I waited too long because things didn't really seem to come together the way I hoped.  It wasn't really bad but I don't think I was quite as into it as the first and second books.

Then I realized that my notes were probably not full enough to make much of a novel.  So I took the plot in some new directions.  Maybe scary new directions.  It seemed to kind of limp to the finish then.  I was planning to leave room for a fourth book in the epilogue but then decided I would just wrap it up.  Though of course I could still write a fourth book if I want.  It's not like I have to answer to anyone on that.

You know what they say, if you fail to plan you should plan to fail.  Or in this case I failed to plan adequately.  Sometimes looking at a synopsis you just can't see how long it's going to take to cover the whole thing.  This was one of those cases.

Now given that I don't feel really strongly about it, how could I release such a story?  Isn't that just a terrible thing to do?  I thought about it but then I figure plenty of books I've thought were really good some a-hole has given one star and some stories I don't feel great about get 5 stars.  So what the hell do I know?  Might as well let the public decide.  Or like plenty of other books they might say nothing at all.  Whatever.

All that being said, you can buy it for Kindle and in paperback--if you want.  No skin off my ass if you don't.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...