Wednesday, May 15, 2019

#AtoZChallenge Reflections

It's time to reflect on this year's A to Z Challenge.  I guess I got my link posted early enough that some people actually saw it so I got a few random visits.  Not that those people could bother actually reading the entries or even take the time to understand what the blog was about.  Like this comment:
I'm not really sure what's going on here - I assume this is an outline of some characters from your books, or from something you like? Either way, it's well-written. Found you through AtoZ.
Duuuuh, I can't take a minute to figure out what your blog is about--now go to my blog!  Gee, thanks.  I don't know, maybe I should have put an introduction at the top of every entry for people too lazy to go read the post describing my challenge this year?  Of course I never considered it because the last couple years I've hardly gotten any randos visiting.  It's like if for Halloween one year you buy a lot of candy and hardly get any kids so the next year you buy less and then more kids show up so you wind up short.  I'll have to make sure to sign up later next year.

Now, what can I do for next year that no one will care about?  I did Transformers, GI Joe, and Robotech.  Plus the Scarlet Knight books, gender swap books, and books that were also movies.  Then I was thinking that over the last 18 months I watched a ton of Rifftrax and MST3K on Pluto TV and Amazon, enough that I could do an A to Z Challenge on it.

At first I was going to just do one movie or maybe two for each letter.  But then I realized that was pretty much just skimming the surface.  There were 10 seasons of MST3K and there are a lot of Rifftrax (the complete videos not the riffs you can download to play during a movie you own/rent) so picking just 26 is less than 10%.

Then I thought of doing a theme for each day.  That way I could cover a lot more ground.  Not that anyone will care.

So here's the first draft, subject to change:
  • Alien invasions:  Alien From LA, Alien Outlaw, Galaxy Invader, Killers From Space, Plan 9 From Outer Space
  • Bikers:  Stone Cold, Side Hackers, The Hellcats
  • Cyborgs:  Cyborg Cop 2, Cyber Tracker, ROTOR
  • Dark Times:  The Dark Power, The Dark, Dark Future
  • Edgewood Studios: Time Chasers, Pressure Point, Icebreaker
  • Future Cops:  Future Force/Zone, Omega Cop, Abraxas
  • GI Jokes:  McBain, Red Zone Cuba, the Starfighters, Deadly Prey
  • Haunted Houses:  Ghosthouse, The House on Haunted Hill, Hillbillys in a Haunted House, The Screaming Skull, Rock n Roll Nightmare
  • I Believe in Santa Claus:  I Believe in Santa Claus, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny, Santa Claus
  • James Nguyen Spectacular (Fails): Birdemic, Julie & Jack
  • Kung Fu Fighting Everywhere:  Miami Connection, Honor & Glory, Samurai Cop, No Retreat/No Surrender, Kill & Kill Again
  • Lasers:  Laser Mission, Laserblast
  • Monster Mash:  Gamera, Gorgo, Arachnia, Giant Gila Monster, Beginning of the End
  • Nights of the Shorts: featuring the Norman Cycle, Setting Up a Room, and more!
  • Outer Space:  Oblivion 1 & 2, This Island Earth, Last Spaceship on Venus
  • Psycho Killers:  Psychotronic Man, Ice Cream Man, Fever Lake, Last Slumber Party, Terror at Tenkiller, Jack Frost
  • Quests:  The Magic Sword, Jack the Giant Killer, Prisoners of the Lost Universe, Sword and the Sorcerer, Ator, Cave Dwellers
  • Rebels Without a Clue:  The Violent Years, The Rebel Set, The Beatniks
  • Super Zeroes:  Supersonic Man, The Pumaman, Neutron the Atomic Superman, Samson the Silver Maskman, Superargo, Firehead
  • Tribulations:  Day of the Animals, Grizzly, Rocket Attack USA
  • Undercover Agents:  Danger Death Ray, Code Name Diamond Head, Radical Jack, Wonder Women, Missile X
  • Valentine's Day Massacre:  The Brute Man, The Indestructible Man, Tormented, Ruby
  • Wastelands:  Warrior of the Lost World, Warriors of the Wasteland, City Limits
  • X Files:  To Catch a Yeti, Curse of Bigfoot, Legend of Boggy Creek 2, Bermuda Triangle
  • Youth Isn't Served:  Cool as Ice, Reefer Madness, Fun in Balloonland, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • Zombie(ish) Apocalypse:  Night of the Living Dead, Mutant, Nightmare at Noon, The Incredible Creature...


Or whatever.

4 comments:

Christopher Dilloway said...

I like it...although no mention of "Mitchell" anywhere...lol :p

PT Dilloway said...

Yes a huge oversight on my part.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

That's an impressive outline you put together for the next A to Z. I think for most people, it's a daily struggle to get attention. That's what A to Z is about: trying to get attention. I'm not sure there's a solution for it either. People tend to think that everyone else is just as important as they are until that's obviously not the case because something has elevated a person beyond their bubble. But no one really understands what causes a person to get elevated to celebrity status, so it becomes this intangible amorphous thing that is usually a result of luck of some kind. In the meantime, all of us who have no celebrity status just kind of mill around and consume our time with looking in the mirror and reflecting on our own thoughts. That just happens to leave very little time or inclination left for reflecting on someone else's thoughts for a change.

I guess what I'm saying is that very few people want to listen anymore. Yeah...that sums it up.

PT Dilloway said...

What? Sorry I wasn't listening. 😛

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...