Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Letting Myself Go

Though I'd been thinking it over for a while, I finally decided after 5 years to give the Eric Filler name a break.  At least for a little while.

Most of the reason was purely economic.  It seemed like sales had kind of plateaued.  Basically every Eric Filler book might get somewhere around 15-30 sales in the first week and then they'd pretty much fall off the table with occasional blips.  Here's the chart from February 22-April 5 for The Sleepover:

Even if I'm not spending $2000 on an editor or anything, I'm still not getting tons of return on my investment, though it's harder to determine not knowing exactly what the KU pages read comes out to.  Still even if we say it's the same, it'd mean the book has made about $150 in three months.  Not bad for I think what amounted to about 3 days of writing, but also not great either.

Look at the overall Eric Filler sales since about 2013:
You can see the peak was in 2016 and then except for a couple of aberrations it's pretty much leveled off.  So I'm kind of thinking the Eric Filler thing is played out.  Maybe it's time to try something new.

One of the reasons I decided to go ahead with the Gender Swap Outbreak series using all three author names was I wanted to do something bigger and see if maybe it could rekindle the fire.  Nope.  There were decent sales the first day but after that it pretty much fell off the table.  I think combined they made as much as The Sleepover and took a lot more time to write.  So not a very profitable use of my free time.  (But hey that's why it's FREE time, right?  I got that joke at a rummage sale from someone's dad.)

Also I was already thinking of taking a break so I wanted to cross that off my checklist.

The question then remains:  what do you do next?  Start a new author name and start over?  Yeah, probably.  See if it's just Eric Filler that's played out or maybe the whole market is too saturated.  It'd be good if I could find some other niche that could be as profitable as this was back in the day.  Though there are certainly a lot better ways to make money.  It's too bad I can't get a steady supply of shit to sell on eBay because some days I make more from that than I do at my job and selling books combined.  It's pretty ridiculous.  Or just get a better job.  Ha.  Yeah, right.

If other plans don't work out then I guess Eric Filler will make his triumphant (ha) return.  Maybe the absence will make people's hearts grow fonder.  Or something.

The "last" Eric Filler book comes out on May 24th.  I had a little fun with it:
I combined about as many of the Transformed series titles as possible.  I guess I could have her get married and work as a maid and have a twin too.  The rest (little girl, toddler, baby, MILF, cougar) weren't really practical while Fat Girl and Whore seemed redundant.  Anyway, the cover is a collage so that's why it's not all really to scale.  It's kind of like The Truman Show where he's trying to create his perfect girl's face from magazine clippings.  But also included is the Sims 4 version:

Anyway, as we bid farewell (for now) to Eric Filler, over the next week I'm just going to talk about some of my favorite stories, which were not necessarily the favorite stories of buyers or/and reviewers.  So strap in for...mass not giving a shit to ensue.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I once tried to find a selling niche that I wanted to write. This involved multiple searches on Amazon, comparing ranks of various books. It was like wading through a jungle, and I gave up. However, some authors do it well. They write to market, and they sell. They say every selling trend eventually fades. It wasn't too long ago Zombies and Vampires were big, but they've faded a bit. It's good you're considering something else.

I still think you have a great voice for a gritty crime novel. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...