Monday, May 2, 2022

A to Z Challenge Reflections on What Might Have Been

Part of a future "B" entry?
The A to Z Challenge is over, again.  What did we learn?  Probably nothing except that I have too many Marvel Legends figures.  Though not really in comparison to people who have like whole rooms and storage garages full.  And like with my other figures I buy most of them on clearance or at a discount unless it's something I really, really want.

If it's like other years, some random people might have shown up sometimes.  Last year one got all huffy because my final post said I wouldn't see those people after the Challenge.  Guess what?  I didn't see them after the Challenge.  Any that showed up this year are probably already gone back from whence they came.  It is what it is.

When I was setting up this challenge, I thought of doing like a Marvel vs DC thing and do a Marvel Legends and a DC Multiverse.  But when I set to doing the DC ones I had more problems.  I had to fudge more of them and couldn't really find much for I or Y and I really had to fudge X.  I think part of that is they haven't done those as long as the Marvel Legends, but also about 90% of the figures they do make are Batman, and another 5% Superman, Harley Quinn, and Wonder Woman so that doesn't leave much room for all the many other characters they have.  Here's the list I came up with at this point:

  • Azrael
  • Bats:  Batman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Batman Beyond, Batwoman Beyond, Batwing...
  • Cyborg
  • Dr. Manhattan/Dr. Fate
  • Etrigan the Demon
  • Flash
  • Green Lanterns:  Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Jessica Cruz...
  • Hawks:  Hawkman/Hawkwoman(girl)/Hawk & Dove
  • Inque/Injustice/Isley, Pamela (Poison Ivy)
  • J'onn Jonnz (Martian Manhunter)
  • Katana
  • Lex Luthor
  • Mera
  • Nightwing
  • Ozymandias
  • Palmer, Ray (the Atom)
  • Quinn, Harley
  • Robins
  • Supers:  Superman, Superboy, Supergirl
  • Trevor, Steve (Seriously, there's not a better T?  Hmmm...Nope.)
  • Ultraman
  • Vixen
  • Wonder Woman
  • Task Force X (Suicide Squad)
  • Y?
  • Zod (Why is there no Zatanna figure?!)
I probably could eventually come up with something to fudge those other letters or maybe find something strong for some of the other ones.  Maybe McFarlane will help me out by making Ice or some Young Justice figures.  (I would seriously love some Young Justice figures.)  Come on, Todd, do me a solid!  Stop making figures from shitty comics storylines no one cares about like "Endless Winter" and "The Three Jokers" and do some good ones.  Is that too much to ask?  Probably.

Actually, why is it McFarlane has made figures from the movies, one from Arrow, a couple from The Flash TV show, and video games like Injustice 2 and Arkham Knight, but they haven't done anything with the other CW shows and HBO Max shows?  I mentioned Young Justice, but there's also Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl, Batwoman, Black Lightning, Doom Patrol, and Titans that have pretty much 0 figures representing them so far.  Mattel made a Ray Palmer from Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow and a Supergirl from that show, but they really haven't exploited all those established brands while they churn out a whole line of "Endless Winter" figures.  What's up with that?  Does it have something to do with licensing the likenesses of the actors?  Who's in charge of deciding these things?

NOTE:  I was bored this weekend so I said fuck it and just wrote the entries for next year using that list.  I can always change some of it if they come out with something new.

6 comments:

Christopher Dilloway said...

I'm very disappointed with the current and upcoming range of DC McFarlane stuff. I don't know what "Endless Winter" is and I don't give a crap about DCeased...I'm upset that their first Supergirl figure is a zombie...WTF. I want to get Annika a Supergirl since I got Juno a Harley Quinn but I'm not giving her a zombie one lol.

Totally agree they should be exploring the shows more...but then seeing as how most of them just got canned maybe there's a reason for that. This year is gonna be boring...most of the Transformers announced so far are boring (and too expensive now :( ), the Joe figures are not characters I care about, the McFarlane DC stuff is lame, I don't care for Marvel Legends...maybe McFarlane will have a couple decent Warhammer 40K figures to pick up but that's about all there is to look forward to. :(

PT Dilloway said...

It sucks that they made a Batgirl of Burnside and it's a zombie. And they're making "Deathstorm" before they make a Firestorm. I suppose the idea is to cater to long-term collectors who already have normal figures of most characters so they make these weird variants but then casual collectors or those who are just starting out get boxed out because it's all this weird crap instead of normal ones.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good point that they don't have as big a variety of DC characters. And that there are people with collections that border on scary!
There is the Yellow Lantern. Although good luck finding that figure.

PT Dilloway said...

I do actually have a yellow Sinestro figure.

Cindy said...

It's true that you probably won't see the random posters again unless you visit their blogs on a regular basis. However, that might take time away from shopping for your next action figure.

Arlee Bird said...

Cindy made a good point in regard to your blog visitors. That's the way it's gone for me for the past decade plus. Blogging is such a active venture for most of us that it's difficult to devote the time to keep a back and forth going.

Your niche is probably limited and many folks aren't as interested so you have go an extra mile to find them. That's what I found when I first started blogging. Most of my visitors outside my hardcore regulars are writers and that's what they are looking for much of the time. Since I don't often write about writing these days, those writer bloggers apparently aren't interested in much of what I blog about.

But we've both been blogging for quite a while now and I don't expect too much from it like I did when I first set out on this venture. I've made a lot of blogger "friends" over the years and watched them come and go. Still looking for that viral topic that will make things blow up on my blog. Just not looking as hard as I used to.

Anyway, you made it to the end and you've got that accomplishment again. Good job! If you're having fun doing what you do then that's the main thing as far as I'm concerned. Unless you're selling something like a book or the like. Then the fun is fine, but the book (or other) sales are a main thing.

Keep on blogging--and collecting!

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...