Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Insecure Wednesday: How Long Do Keep Your "Friends?"

Back on June 29th I published this blog entry.  I mentioned I had followed someone on Twitter who was riffing on old Transformers comics and I thought it was pretty cool.  But then by early July I unfollowed this person for a couple of reasons.

First was they (yes, they are a they according to them) hadn't really done any riffing on Transformers comics in a little while.  Which is too bad, but I get people get busy and don't always have time for that.  Especially because cutting up an issue into frames can probably be time-consuming, which is why I haven't really done it.

The main thing, though, was when after the Supremely Partisan Hacks overturned Roe v Wade (and strongly hinted gay marriage and gay rights in general were next on their list) this person said that if not for having some foster cats they would be making some real life-altering decisions right now.  

I suppose that could just refer to quitting their job and moving somewhere else, but it set off warning bells for me.  I thought maybe this was the cry for help that this person was getting suicidal.  If so, I really didn't want any part of that.  Unfollow.

It's probably cowardly, but I didn't really know this person.  I'd never talked to them outside of Twitter.  I never even talked to them with an account with my real name.  And it had only been a month or two that I had followed them.  So I didn't really feel like I needed to get involved with any drama in this person's life.

At the same time, I can't help thinking that people should have the right to air their real life drama if they want.  I mean this person shouldn't be restricted to riffing old Transformers comics just because that's why I followed them in the first place.  What, do they look like a clown to you?  That what you think? (Joe Pesci in Goodfellas really wants to know.)

So anyway, as it's insecure Wednesday, how long until unfollowing a "friend" on social media is wrong?  When should you drop them?  Should you get involved if you sense something is wrong IRL?

I feel this really has the makings for one of those afterschool specials.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

When it's not a good friend, getting involved in someone's drama is a drain. Okay, even when it is a good friend it's a drain. I guess that's why we have to limit it. We'd spend all of our time worrying about others.

Cindy said...

I probably would've stuck around to see what that tweet meant. Although, I have blocked some people on Facebook. There was this one person who kept pestering me to somehow get him a job where I work. This was right after I started working there. I told him to search for jobs on their website, but for some reason he thought I could do more. He just kept pestering.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...