Thursday, July 16, 2020

Where Have the Writers Gone?

A weird fact I found out not long ago:  most of my old writing buddies haven't published much in years.  I hadn't been paying attention, but one day I was looking up my PT Dilloway books on Amazon to see if I had any reviews and just for the hell of it I clicked a link on an old issue of Indie Writers Monthly from 2013.  Check this out:
  • Andrew Leon doesn't have a book listed since February 2018 and that was nonfiction.  The last fiction book was April 2016.
  • Briane Pagel doesn't have a book listed since November 2016
  • Rusty Carl (aka Rusty Webb) doesn't have a book listed since September 2013
  • Sandra Ulbrich Almazan has a couple of short stories over the last couple of years but nothing novel-length since October 2017
  • Nigel Mitchell doesn't have a book listed since June 2018
  • Neil Vogler doesn't have a book listed since April 2016
  • Amazon says Jay Noel has released two books this year but I think they're both re-releases from a few years ago
  • Even Tony Laplume hasn't published any fiction on Amazon since June 2018
The exceptions are that my buddy Al Sirois just published a novel last month, I guess Michael Offutt finally published the conclusion to his trilogy last October, and Cindy Borgne co-authored a book this January, which I have on my Kindle but I haven't been reading much during the pandemic.

It's kind of depressing that it seems like most of my former writing friends have mostly stopped writing--unless they're using different names.  What could be behind this?  Maybe they're just busy with families and jobs and stuff.  If any of them want to give me a shout out, go right ahead in the comments.

4 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

It’s sad. The writer community is supportive but perhaps not as productive as it once was

Cindy said...

Yes, I thought I would do that just for experience of it. We planned for a book #2, but the writing has been slow. I don't know if it's because it's summer, Covid, or both.

Andrew Leon said...

I'm just amazed I'm on this list as one of your buddies.

PT Dilloway said...

*former* buddies in some cases

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...