Friday, February 5, 2021

How Much Fan Service is Too Much?

 On Monday's entry I mentioned the end of Season 2 of The Mandalorian.  In that Mando, Bo Katan, and their allies were on the bridge of Moff Gideon's cruiser with a platoon of Dark Troopers trying to break in and kill them when Luke Skywalker shows up to take the Dark Troopers down and leave with Grogu--the Child.

I loved finally getting to see Luke kick some ass in a way we really hadn't seen in the movies.  Like I said, it was like at the end of Rogue One where you really got to see Vader kicking ass the way we always imagined.  So for me it was pretty awesome.

But one of my Facebook "friends" complained that it was a "copout."  I can see that.  I mean it's kind of a deus ex machina with Luke swooping in to save the day.  With a show called The Mandalorian, shouldn't at least A Mandalorian save the day?

On the other hand, it wasn't entirely coming out of nowhere.  Grogu was at the old Jedi temple and it was established that a Jedi might be able to see him and who's the only fucking Jedi left--the Last Jedi as it were?  Duh.  So really it was only a big surprise in that they would actually bring him in, though as I figured he was cloaked most of the time because you know it wasn't 65-ish-year-old Mark Hamill twirling around like that and that age-regression computer stuff is best for when someone is standing in place, not moving around.

But really, what's the line between fan service that works and fan service that gets to be too much?  In this case I didn't think it was too much, but obviously some people did.  I guess in the end it's up to the viewer to decide.

2 comments:

Christopher Dilloway said...

from what I've seen, it was an awesome scene that was set up with Grogu having sent a message into the universe an episode or two before...now if it had come out of nowhere, then it would be pure fan service. plus having Luke come take Grogu frees up the story to move in other directions and there's not some little green baby to worry about. The "friend" complaining about it probably is a stick-in-the-mud no fun type who can't appreciate cool stuff or just simply be entertained by entertainment.

Cindy said...

I liked the ending. Mando's goal was to return Grogu to his own kind and he succeeded in that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...