Friday, September 3, 2021

Action Figures I Like Slightly Better Now

 Last January I posted some pictures of action figures I bought but didn't really like.  Recently I got around to fixing a couple of them.

The first one I posted about in January was the McFarlane Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan.  The problem was besides not being very poseable, her left arm fell right off!  It was pretty lame, especially for a company that has otherwise made decent figures and the effort it took for me to get the thing.


A couple months ago I got a little glue gun from Amazon Vine and last month I finally got around to using it.  I warmed up the glue and then put a dab in the left arm socket and stuffed her arm in.  It held in place, though the problem then is the arm can't move.  It's not a huge problem considering the figure wasn't very poseable to start with.  So long as I don't drop her too much or anything, the glue repair should hold for a while.

Another one I had a problem with was the Mattel DC Multiverse Kingdom Come Superman.  The problem was really just his head.  It was supposed to look old but it hardly looked any different from a regular Superman.  As a temporary thing I boiled him for a couple minutes to pop the head off and then put on a Dark Knight Returns Bruce Wayne head where I colored the top of his hair black with a marker.  It worked OK but it's not really to scale and the skin tone is a little off.

Original Version

With Bruce Wayne head

At work I saw a bottle of White-Out and thought maybe I could use that to repaint the original head.  And it worked!  Maybe too well because the white is a little thick in places.  But looking at it from the front it does look a lot better, more how it's supposed to.





The problem then was I think in the process of boiling him to pop his head off, the hole in his head to go on the peg of his neck had shrunk!  It was too small to put the head back on his body.  So I had to get out my electric drill and very carefully make the hole bigger.

Except the hole was now too big!  To fix that, I had to get the glue gun back out.  I put a dab in the hole and then put it on the peg and held it a few seconds. The head stuck, but like Mikasa's arm it can't move.  Too bad.

It does look better, though I wish I could maybe add some better lines and wrinkles on his face to go with the hair.  But close enough!


2 comments:

Christopher Dilloway said...

markers and white out? good god man...there are these things called PAINTS that you can buy...in many colors and styles...and they work a lot better than markers and white out. :p

PT Dilloway said...

Yeah but I didn't feel like spending $5 on a bottle of paint to use on one thing. White out and markers are free. ;-P

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...