Saturday, April 13, 2024

A to Z Challenge: Legos!

Doing a quick Google search, I found this article that gives a brief history of Lego video games.  So go ahead and read that and I'll see you on Monday!

OK, actually I have played a couple of the Lego games but not a lot.  I think I played the original Star Wars one (the prequel one) a little bit.  And then I know I played the second one with the original trilogy, though I don't think I owned it.  This is a screen shot from a Gameboy version on RetroGames

I know I got the Batman one in a Humble Bundle or something for the PC.  Like most of these games it's fun and somewhat easy, though sometimes not as easy as you might think.  I remember I got stuck on one point and then found it's because you were supposed to do something that you hadn't done before in the game so I had no idea that I could do what they wanted me to do.  Make sense?  No?  Good.

The ones I have played, you generally follow a story of some sort.  You use Lego building to create bridges or other platforms; fix or build vehicles to travel; or to repair or create some other machine for the level.  If you're not careful you can get shot or hit with something or fall down a chasm and then your Lego character will break apart into pieces.  The same can happen to vehicles.

While the games started on the PC, they were also made for the various consoles of the 2000s-today.  Like the later Star Wars specials on Disney+, the stories are generally done tongue-in-cheek with slapstick and nerd humor.  As that article says, that was really good with the prequels considering how much they sucked to most people not named Tony Laplume.

The success of the games is probably a large reason The Lego Movie and Lego Batman Movie came to be.  And at least with the video games it doesn't hurt so much to step on them, right?

2 comments:

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

This is the first one of your games that I've actually played, I think! Not a ton, but I do remember laughing very hard about how silly the whole thing was, and how "friendly fire" kept smashing fellow players to pieces!
https://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2024/04/magical-botany-l.html

Christopher Dilloway said...

The LEGO games were kinda fun at first...but they got boring fast and they oversaturated the market with every reskin of the game they could...Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, DC, Marvel, etc. They did a good job trying to build replayability into the games by having only some things available to earn the first run through and then you had to play the level again after "unlocking" the free play mode but even that got frustrating sometimes when the level itself the first time through was a pain

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...