Friday, March 22, 2013

Box Office Blitz Week 11

The last two weeks we've had a couple of upset winners in Rusty Carl and Briane Pagel.  So if you think this is over in Week 11 then you are dead wrong.  I mean come on there are still 40 weeks left to go!  We're not even to the halfway point.  So don't think just because you're on the outside right now that you can't get into the thick of it.

And if you're not sure what this is, it's a pretty simple game.  You try to pick the top 3 movies of the weekend's box office and how much they will make.  You get 50 points for each movie you guess that lands in the top 3 and 50 bonus points if it's in the right spot.  A 500 point bonus is awarded to the winner.

Now then, here's the list from my local megaplex (* indicates a new release):

  • 21 and Over
  • A Good Day to Die Hard
  • Admission*
  • Argo
  • Dead Man Down
  • Django Unchained
  • Escape from Planet Earth
  • Identity Thief
  • Inappropriate Comedy*
  • Jack the Giant Killer
  • Les Miserables
  • Life of Pi
  • Mindless Behavior 
  • Olympus Has Fallen*
  • Oz the Great & Powerful
  • Quartet
  • Safe Haven
  • Side Effects
  • Silver Linings Playbook
  • Snitch
  • Spring Breakers*
  • The Call
  • The Croods*
  • The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
  • Upside Down*
  • Warm Bodies
  • Zero Dark 30
Oz has ruled the box office the last two weeks, which shows the power of family movies.  And it's been a pretty bad year for action movies.  Not only that, but it's March Madness time, so dudes are more likely to be at home or the sports bar watching basketball than in a movie theater.  (Keep that in mind next week for GI JOE's opening.)  So I will guess:
  1. The Croods $35M
  2. Oz $25M
  3. Admission $15M
Put your picks in the comments.  And be sure to answer this week's bonus question as well, which is worth 100 points to someone who doesn't win the round.  Here's this week's bonus question:

Lame, raunchy comedy "Movie 43" flopped with $5M its opening weekend.  Will the lame, raunchy "Inappropriate Comedy" make MORE or LESS than that this weekend?

The results will be posted Sunday.  Good luck!

6 comments:

Briane said...

Bonus question: LESS. Although I wanted to see Movie 43 until I heard how bad it was. I'll probably Netflix it someday.

My picks:

1. The Croods: $40million
2. Spring Breakers $24 million
3. Oz $20 million.

So my win was an upset, was it? We'll see about that. It's all in when you get hot.

Tony Laplume said...

1. The Croods ($40 mil)
2. Oz the Great and Powerful ($20 mil)
3. Olympus Has Fallen ($15 mil)

I would look for Spring Breakers to be a spoiler. It's got a fairly limited wide release, but major buzz (Disney Girls Gone Bad).

Maurice Mitchell said...

The Croods ($40 million)
Oz the Great and Powerful ($20 million)
Olympus Has Fallen ($18 million)

Less. Family films ruled 2012 and these films are running out of steam.

Andrew Leon said...

I'm gonna say more on the bonus.
And I'm gonna continue to go against the grain, I think:
1. Olympus -- $42m
2. Croods -- $38m
3. Oz -- $20m

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

1. Croods $40.5 million
2. Olympus has Fallen. $22 million
3. Oz the Great. $20.9 million

dolorah said...

I'm not impressed with any of your * movies; I'm just not a comedy person.

I don't follow movie stats enough to vote in this. I watched Argo tonight on DVD and I really liked. I'll have to buy both Argo and Seal Team Six.

Even though I'm not good at this game I wanted to say "Hello Patrick; have a good weekend."

......dhole

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...