Friday, June 1, 2018

The Inconvenience of the Cinema

When I was unemployed I could go to movies pretty much whenever I wanted, not that I necessarily did.  Still it was pretty easy to work a showing into my busy schedule.  Since going back to work, though, going to movies has been more of a chore.

For one thing I don't really like going at night because it's more expensive and more crowded.  I used to go on Saturdays but usually now I reserve Saturdays for writing most of the day.  I could go Sundays but I don't really like doing anything Sunday.

So most of the time I end up going after work, which can be kind of annoying.  The thing then is do you go to the movie first or get dinner first?  Usually I get out of work at 4:30-5, which is a little early for dinner, but since most big movies are 2-2 1/2 hours (longer with previews and all that) then I often don't get out until 7-7:30 or so, which is late for dinner.

Theaters themselves aren't making it all that convenient either.  It's nice that they have these big reclining chairs now, but it kinda sucks that you have to pick a seat before you even go into the theater.  What if the seat you pick is behind someone really tall?  Or someone who talks loudly on their phone?  Or has a couple of bratty kids?  I just like having the freedom to decide where I want to sit when I get there and survey the scene.

You've probably seen those people who would stand at the base of the stairs in the theater for like 10 minutes debating where to sit.  Well now thanks to this assigned seating crap, those people are having this debate at the box office, so at busy times they're slowing down the line, which I guess is an argument to use the machines more.

One in Novi is especially ridiculous.  One time I went in and I wanted a soda.  Well the line I was in was just for hot food now.  So I get in another line.  No that's the line for popcorn.  Finally I find the line for soda.  What the hell is that?  Now if I want popcorn, nachos, and a soda I'd have to get into line 3 times?  What a lot of unnecessary hassle.  I guess if I really want a soda I'll go to a vending machine.

It's at the point where if I could rent most big movies On Demand or whatever the same weekend they come out I'd probably do it for like $10 or so, especially if I could keep it for a day or two to watch it more than once.  I guess I'm just getting too lazy in my old age.

I waited like 3 weeks to watch Avengers 3 because I had some time off coming in mid-May and figured it'd just be easier to fit it in then.  I also watched Ready Player One then, though that was harder to fit in because it was only at like one theater.  The other one I wanted to see was Pacific Rim 2 but that was only playing in one theater 40 miles away at like 4:30 or 7:30.  That was just too much of a hassle.

Deadpool 2 I watched on opening day at 11:30 in the morning at the Regency-UA theater in Commerce Township that still has the traditional concessions and seats.  I guess it wasn't as comfortable but there was a lot less hassle.  And by going early opening day I didn't have to worry about fitting it in the next week when I was back at work.  A win-win!

Now there's probably nothing I really want to watch in the theater until July.  Hooray!

4 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I suppose it's good I like art theater offerings. These old theaters, with zip for amenities, are like going to see The Lone Ranger, back in the day. Can you believe RBG taking in two million in two weeks!

Cindy said...

I have the same problem. It seems like a waste of time to sit for 2.5 hours on weekend unless, of course, the movie was fantastic. (Also, I usually eat dinner at 5 p.m, so that's not late for me.)

Cindy said...

I mean 5 p.m. dinner is not too early for me.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

You might want to consider getting Movie Pass.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...