Monday, September 23, 2019

#5BDA The New Mexico Saga, Part 1

The first time I was in New Mexico was in 2006.  I went to Albuquerque and then across the state to Santa Rosa, Tucumcari, and Las Vegas.  The latter two were research for the setting of The Best Light, which takes place in "Little Mesa," a small New Mexico town sort of like Tucumcari.

Anyway, this time I went from southern Arizona into southwestern New Mexico.  The first night I stopped at Las Cruces.  The motel room was kind of oddly set up but other than the air conditioner leaking all over the floor it was a lot better than Tucson.












The next day I went back to Albuquerque.  Like Phoenix I'd pretty much done all the touristy stuff the last time I was there, but I did wander around and even find Saul Goodman's office!  Or the plaza that was the fictional setting for his office in Breaking Bad.






















From there I went not all that far to Santa Fe.  I walked all around the old downtown but I didn't have money or storage space for shopping at the art galleries and such.




























I did a detour to Los Alamos one day but couldn't find the museum that was supposed to be there.









After a weekend in a fairly crummy motel it was back on the road.  I got a good deal on a Hampton Inn in Colorado Springs and so decided to go there so I could scratch Colorado off the list of states I hadn't been to.  There are still some on there:  Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, the Carolinas, the Virginias, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and pretty much all of New England except Maine.  If I had the money I could probably do some of those in another Grumpy Bulldog Does America but don't hold your breath.

1 comment:

Tony Laplume said...

I've been to Virginia (lived there, obviously), Missouri, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and probably driven through a few of the others you list (not Hawaii, or Alaska). My lack of experience is mostly on the west coast and the northern states. My sister returned to Texas earlier this year. Still haven't been there, either.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...