Monday, October 24, 2022

Toxic Fandom Has Become A F**king Embarrassment

 Back in spring when Obi-Wan Kenobi aired on Disney+, there was a "controversy" because of a black woman playing an Inquisitor.  It got to the point where star/producer Ewan McGregor had to record a message chastising the so-called "fans."  And I wanted to do a face palm, not for his message, but that a message needed to be recorded in the first place.

I mean, do these so-called "fans" not realize that there was a black guy voicing Darth Vader from literally the first scene of the first movie?  And another black guy on screen in the next two movies?  It's almost as bad as the toxic "fans" who whine about Star Trek being "woke."  Um, yeah, it has been since pretty much Day 1.  They literally had a black woman and Asian guy on the bridge and (at least according to the Adam Sandler song) two Jewish guys as main characters.  Do you idiots even watch the stuff you claim to love so much?

And then soon after Amazon's Ring of Power series premieres, we get this:



Again, it's embarrassing for me as a "fan" that actors, producers, and big corporations have to keep chastising us like children and stating the obvious:  your property is not--and likely never has been--all white.

Adding to the embarrassment is if you read the comments like on that Facebook post you still have a lot of toxic "fans" saying dumb shit like Elves and whoever were White and other races might have had dark skin but they didn't mix.  I know Facebook posts aren't verbal, but you people ever bother to listen to yourselves and realize how you sound?  Reading the comments feels like listening to a fucking Klan rally.  I mean, you're basically talking about "racial purity," which is pretty much Page 1 of the Klan handbook.

And the tactics of these "fans" are very similar to those of the Ku Klux Klan, only updated for the 21st Century.  Instead of burning a cross on someone's yard, you send an email.  Instead of tarring and feathering someone, you send a Tweet.  Instead of lynching someone...let's hope it doesn't get to that point.  The idea was to intimidate people of color so they would stay in "their place" and the tactics of these toxic "fans" are meant to do the same.  The Klan rationalized its behavior as "protecting" the "purity" of the white race in the same way "fans" rationalize that they're "protecting" the "purity" of their favorite property.

Not only was the Klan dangerous (and still is), but for a white person like me it's also really embarrassing that I share anything common with these fucking degenerate morons.  In the same way, it's really embarrassing that I have to share my love of certain IPs with these fucking degenerate morons.  Though I'm not a huge, huge fan of anything to the point of dressing up and going to conventions or putting stickers on my car or anything, I do really like Star Wars, Star Trek, and other things--Middle Earth not as much.  Thanks to these toxic idiots, now I have to worry if people find out I like those things, they might think I'm one of those people sending death threats to actors and stupid shit like that.  Especially because I fit the profile of being white and not sociable and everything.  And if people think that, what can I say:  I have black friends?  I have queer friends?  And so on?  You know how well that plays.

I'm being a little facetious here, but could these racist idiots think about me, the non-racist white fan?  I really don't want to be lumped in with you asshats.  And I really hate that actors, producers, writers, and so on have to take time out of their day to record messages telling you asshats to grow the fuck up.  I don't want Ewan McGregor thinking we're all like that.  In the unlikely event I ever ran into him, I wouldn't want him thinking, "Oh shit, one of those people" and calling his personal security to tase me or something.

So, come on, stop being toxic embarrassments.  If not because it's the right thing then do it for me and all the other non-toxic fans who just want to watch our shows and movies and enjoy them without a lot of offscreen drama.  Thank you.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sadly, us white dudes get lumped in with all the idiots.
I have no problem with the acting choices in any of those movies. If that person is a good actor, who cares?
And I think my wife has a thing for Arondir...

Christopher Dilloway said...

I just read an article this morning that a lot of the crap going on right now is because white people are losing their "majority" status in communities and they feel threatened that the superior attitude they've had all their lives might not last much longer so they circle around idiots like trump who lies about caring about their interests. Their communities have been invaded by "minorities", there was a black president and that really cheesed them off, and now their favorite IPs are being taken over by women and minorities and people who bring new ideas and new directions and they think it's all part of the same overall reduction of their status as "white people". :(

It's especially stupid with Star Trek fans...where they have the concept IDIC (infinite diversity in infinite combination) as a main theme...it's not just all banging alien women and phasers smh

Cindy said...

Star Trek fans tend to complain a lot in general. However, it's amazing that some people can still be racist and so ignorant that they have to make threats, etc to actors because they're not the right color? They need to grow up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...