Monday, December 18, 2017

Indie Bookmas Day 7: Lightspeed Frontier by Adam Corres

I think this was another book advertised on my Kindle that I decided to buy for the hell of it.  I listened to it in my car while I was on vacation in Petoskey, MI.  I distinctly remember I listened to a large chunk of it my last day when I went down to Traverse City and back.

“When you play pool, do you see it as an exercise in advanced trigonometry or do you just pick up a stick and poke?” That’s the question that untrained pilot and space-punk heroine Exia asks in this idea-fueled sci-fi comedy as she takes her scavenger space ship to the frontier of human colonization and inflicts her personal brand of chaos on an already messed up galaxy. If you want adventure, wit, hard and soft science, original thought, a future full of imaginative charm and a burning tortoise that picks out grant applications, this is the book you’ve been waiting for. It is truly unlike anything else ever written in science fiction.

This is supposed to be a light sci-fi comedy like Date Night on Union Station that I previously talked about buying because it was advertised on my Kindle repeatedly.  Unlike that book, I didn't really like this.  As I said in my review it seemed like a lot of prattle searching for a plot.  Which as a backhanded compliment would mean that fans of Tony Laplume would love it!  If Adam Corres and Tony Laplume teamed up they could make a sci-fi epic twice as long as Infinite Jest and with twice as little plot!  But I do like the cover.  So, that.

Buy it for a measly 99 cents from Amazon or other retailers!

3 comments:

Nigel G Mitchell said...

That's a good cover all right

stephen Hayes said...

Interesting story.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Checking Goodreads apparently the author likes it. He says "I wrote it and I'm going to give it a 5 star rating. So there." Other than that most of the reviews are pretty vague. I'm willing to go with your opinion. The cover is awesome and sets the right tone.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33119846-lightspeed-frontier

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...