Friday, March 30, 2018

Forget Reboots, It's All About Revials!

At least on TV now revivals are the big new thing.  Have a show that was popular 15-20 years ago?  Don't reboot that thing, revive it!  The X-Files, Will & Grace, Roseanne, and Netflix's Fuller House are all recent examples and soon more will be on the way!

Honestly I have no interest in watching any of these.  It's even worse than the reunion movies they used to make for shows like The Waltons, Brady Bunch, Dukes of Hazzard, and CHiPs.  I mean who wants to see their favorite characters all old and/or fat?  And often there are some actors who are dead or maybe they just refuse to do it.  And then you have to find some excuse for everyone to be together and so on.  I honestly can't think of any of those I enjoyed.  They were mostly just sad.  I suppose the Brady one at least spawned a short-lived revival series, though it was more a dramedy than sitcom.

That's really why I don't care about any of these revivals.  And I didn't watch most of these shows much the first time.  I remember a few years ago when Netflix did a fourth season of Arrested Development, which was sort of a revival.  It was pretty awful.  The episodes were longer, but sporadically so and adding Ron Howard as an actual character--as himself?  Ugh.  As lame as Julia Roberts pretending to be Julia Roberts in Ocean's Twelve.

The thing is, time passes whether it's about 10 years like Arrested Development or The X-Files or 20 years like Roseanne or Full House, and not only do characters get older, but writers and producers move on to other things.  And really the writers and producers and actors all naturally change a little, so you're probably not going to get the same product, just a facsimile of it.  I mean that's pretty much what happened with the new Star Wars trilogy.

Sadly the shows that get revived are all ones that were popular back in their day.  Really I'd rather see revivals of shows that were canceled too soon, like a second season of Firefly or a third season of Due South that forgets the CTV season ever happened or a third season of Syfy's Invisible Man or a third season Reaper or third season of Better Off Ted or second season of Wonderfalls or ...whatever shows you think got cancelled too soon.  Though there'd still probably be the problems mentioned above.  So maybe those seasons will just have to exist in my head...or on my blog.

Sunday the A to Z Challenge Begins!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I haven't watched any of those. You really have to be a big fan to enjoy those reunions. It's probably fun for the actors. A long time ago they did a Man from UNCLE reunion and I watched that one. It was okay.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...