Friday, September 7, 2018

How Not to Respond to Mild Criticism

I don't often react well to negative reviews.  And sometimes I can be a dick in reviews online.  But in this case it's someone else reacting badly to what I didn't think was a nasty criticism at all.  Decide for yourself.

So here's the original post on a Twitter Pitch:
(This will be under "MG.")

The "Made in America" Act has tossed most stuffed animals aside. Now, Spaulding the teddy bear and his kind must create their own community or be exterminated by dogs, rats, buses, and skateboarder.

And here's my response, which I think is pretty tame:
Agree this doesn't really do anything for me. A Twitter pitch—or elevator pitch—needs to be short and punchy.

It's like Toy Story with stuffed animals! [Or Toy Story meets Animal Farm....or whatever.]

What if you had to give up your favorite stuffed toy? In [whatever] a bunch of discarded stuffed toys seek to build a new community, but have to avoid dogs, rats, and a nasty skateboarder.

Don't get bogged down in details.

To which this dude just completely jumps down my throat:
Toy Story is stuffies. Woody and Buzzy are both stuffed. A Twitter pitch isn't an elevator pitch. And, no, really, a pitch isn't a comparison. And no, it really should never include a question in it. And, no, "a bunch of" doesn't belong in it. And, yes, details matter, otherwise pitches would all look like what you wrote.

I really was looking for help, but when "help" is teaching someone how to do something completely wrong, that's not helpful. Have you ever truly helped someone on this forum?

That doesn't seem like a proportional response, does it?  For once I didn't really waste time going head-to-head on this except to point out the obvious:
Buzz Lightyear is an action figure, not a stuffed toy. He has a battery powered laser and sound effects for crying out loud. (And wings!)
I don't know if Woody is stuffed or if he's wooden, though I think he was patterned more on Howdy Doody than a stuffed toy.  I mean to me "stuffies" are like Winnie the Pooh or Spot Mangy Mutt II.

For the record I think a Twitter pitch is like an elevator pitch.  You're in a confined space and thus have to quickly hook your audience.  It was tougher when you only had 144 characters.  Still the point is you have to do something short and punchy to get your foot in the door.  Like a query letter you have to consider than an agent is going to see hundreds of these things so if you just do some boring standard line you're not going to get much interest.

It just didn't seem like any point wasting the time or energy with someone who immediately becomes so irrational.  I guess this was just one of those who really only wanted a pat on the head and a cookie.  Maybe it's not a surprise the dude got no more advice from anyone after this.    Who'd want to bother if you're going to get snapped at like that?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

This story seems familiar to me from critique circle from years ago, especially the name "Spaulding" and being a teddy bear. If it's the same person I'm thinking of, she/he has been working (stuck) on this story for a long time and as I recall never did handle criticism well.

PT Dilloway said...

Sounds like the same dude.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I don’t know much about pitches but I do know I had to read it a few times to even understand what they meant. Quibbling about whether toys are stuffed or not seems like a reach. You tried to help

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...