Wednesday, October 16, 2019

The Life and Death of Swapnado

On Pluto TV's Rifftrax channel I've watched the Live shows of Sharknado and Sharknado 2 probably a hundred times in the last couple of years.  It wasn't until this last summer though that I had the genius idea:  Swapnado!  A tornado that causes gender swaps!  I actually checked Amazon to make sure no one had come up with that yet.

I sprang into action and came up with a story about a lab that's damaged during a storm, releasing some chemical into the air that causes some guys nearby to become women.  And then the idea was later they would have to stop a second "swapnado" from hitting a big city.

But after a few weeks I realized it wasn't really working out.  Not because it was a dumb idea (I mean, of course it is!) but that the story was too dark.  I had a bunch of people being killed in a tornado, including a guy's wife.  The guy and his son are turned into girls and are soon on the run from the company who created the chemical released in the swapnado.  With the help of a sympathetic cop they take refuge on an Indian reservation---and that was as far as I got.

I got thinking that a story called Swapnado should be more fun and not so dark.  I needed to stop doing the Zack Snyder version and do the Marvel version.  Though I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to do that yet.  Part of the problem is what's funny about the Sharknado movies is the bad acting, terrible effects, and lame production like where you can see cars "fleeing" in both directions or it's bright and sunny during the storm!  It's hard to replicate that in written form.

So for now Swapnado is stuck in development Hell.  At some point maybe I'll figure it out.  Or not.  I doubt it's a huge loss if I don't.

1 comment:

Tony Laplume said...

Can't you just...not kill people? Or not mention it? That's pretty much how everyone does it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...