Wednesday, December 4, 2019

A Christmas Swap Story Conundrum

I will probably get no helpful advice from the phantom readers, but I'm going to try anyway.

So one day I had this idea--the 12 Days of Christmas, with gender swaps!  I looked up the song and wrote down the lyric for each day and some were pretty easy like drummers drumming, pipers piping, and of course ladies dancing.  But then you get all those birds and it gets a bit trickier.

Anyway, I started chasing the idea down the rabbit hole and finally came up with something I think is pretty cool.  Think of it like The Time Traveler's Wife meets that 13 Reasons Why show on Netflix--which I never watched.

So there's this guy named Taylor and one day he meets this cute redhead who moves in next door but he blows it and she never talks to him again.  On Christmas Eve he comes home from work to find she's killed herself.  (Or did she?  Hurm...)  Later he opens his mailbox and there's a mysterious package with an ornament in it.  He puts the ornament on the tree and finds himself in the body of a girl and back in time when the redhead was still alive.  He's only there a short time before he comes back.

And then each day another ornament shows up and Taylor quantum leaps to some random point in the redhead's life as he tries to unravel who she is and why she killed herself--if she did.  And as he does he falls in love with her and she falls in love with him, but is she still fated to die?  Or will there be a Christmas miracle?

That's the story and I hope I actually manage to get off my ass and finish it in time, unlike a Thanksgiving story I'll talk about Friday.

The problem now is I'm not sure about the title.  Here's the question for the phantom readers:  which do you like better:

A.  The 12 Swaps of Christmas
B.  The 12 Days of Swapmas

Or do you have a suggestion of your own?  Personally I'd like something a little classier but generally I try to keep these simple for the readers.  Here are some possible cover images I dug up:






Let me know what you think, not that you will.  And merry Swapmas!  Or Swaps of Christmas.  Whatever.

2 comments:

David Powers King said...

Now that is a fun premise, has a slight Groundhog Day and Your Name element to it, as well. 12 Swaps of Christmas is my vote. :)

Arion said...

Agreed. I also vote for The 12 Swaps of Christmas

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...