Friday, June 12, 2020

Prompt Service #5: Bad Product

My book of prompts asked me to write about a bad product.  Through Amazon Vine I've come across my share of bad products.  And some that are really good.  Of course a lot of them end up in-between.

What makes a bad product?  Some if it just doesn't work.  Or others if something breaks right away.  One watch I got from Vine half the watch band came off when I was trying to get it out of the box.

Others are just bad by design.  One watch has a traditional analog face, but there's also a digital box on the left side.  The dumb thing about this design is the analog hands cover it up whenever it's 9:00 or X:45.  It's such an obvious design flaw that I don't know why someone didn't notice it before they got to the phase of releasing it.
Patrick Dilloway's portrait.
Another one I'm reminded of every year around this time.  The apartment I've lived in for the last 5 years doesn't have central air, so when Vine offered an air conditioner that's not a window unit, I jumped at the chance.  And it works, but there's one really obnoxious design flaw.

You have to connect the adjustable white hose between the unit and the vent that goes in the window.  But they designed it so there's really nothing to actually keep the hose connected.  There are no screws or brackets or glue or tape or anything.  They basically seem to hope that gravity and a prayer will keep it connected.  The obvious problem that usually happens at least once is the stupid hose will pop out one end or another and then if you're not in the room and paying attention it turns the room into a sauna from all the warm air spraying around.

Again you have to wonder why someone didn't notice this in the testing phase, if not earlier.  I mean it should be pretty obvious that there's really nothing holding the hose in at either end and with the force of the air blowing out, it might not stay in by just wedging it in like those old Poploids toys from the '80s.  That's what really gets frustrating about it:  why didn't anyone notice how stupidly this was designed before it got to me?

So there you go, that's a bad product for you.  Of course that could relate to books.  If you don't plan your book and don't edit it and stuff then your book can turn out really bad before it ever gets to a reader.  Just saying.

2 comments:

Arion said...

Oh wow, those are really obvious design flaws, you're right, someone should've noticed that before releasing the products

Cindy said...

Years ago, I was thinking of buying one of those for my room until I noticed a hose had to go out the window. When you have to open the window for a hose, you might as well get a window air conditioner. So I didn't get it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...