Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Soapbox Derby

Besides all the shit going on in this country thanks to COVID-19 and cops murdering unarmed black civilians, there are some other things I wanted to complain about.

First, though hardly anyone ever comments on this blog, you might have noticed I turned on the comment moderation.  This is become some dipshit spammer kept sending me the same fucking bullshit comment over and over on different articles, "Wow amazing!  Find out what your name means here..." blah blah blah some junk link that's probably just a phishing site.  I deleted them the first few times but when they kept doing it again and again I finally had enough and turned the moderation on.  Which for a blog that gets maybe one comment a week otherwise seems like a bullshit hassle to me.

Then on Facebook I had to deal with a similar hassle.  Chinese jerkoffs kept going to my author page to send me messages that had nothing to do with my books.  It was always some broken English about trying some product, which of course I'm not going to do.  I mean that's like jerkoffs on eBay who try to get you to sell them something off the site; you know it's just a trap so they can get the product and not pay you or pay you with some counterfeit check or something.  In this case they'd probably want me to pay for shipping whatever bullshit product so they can steal my credit card info.

My new Amazon profile pic lol
After the first few times they did this I set up an away message to basically tell them to fuck off.  And for a while it stopped.  Then a couple of weeks ago it started again.  So finally I realized that these jerkoffs saw my Vine reviews and were connecting my name to my Facebook page or were looking up my page on my Amazon profile.  I went over to Amazon and changed the name it uses on my profile.  Plus I deleted all the links to my blog, my Facebook page, and my Twitter.  I even changed the picture from one of me to one of my Sims.  Which sucks because what if someone actually wanted to read this blog?  Or wanted to ask me something about my books?  That's happened maybe twice in the last 11 years, but still!

Speaking of, a few weeks ago I got an email at my Eric Filler account from a fan.  It was harmless enough...at first.  Days later he asks about a book that Amazon had pulled a while back.  I had put most of those books on Prolific Works, but I realized I hadn't put that one up.  So I real quick found my files for that and loaded it to Prolific Works and sent him the link.

Then it takes a turn to the crazy when he emails me back and says he wants to send me one of his stories and he'll name a character after me if I want.  I didn't want to get into a whole thing with that so I just ignored it and then for good measure set up a filter so any further emails should just go straight to the trash without me reading them.  Let's hope that's it and he doesn't send me a tape about how he tied up his girlfriend and drove her off a bridge like in that Eminem song, "Stan."

I'm not a famous author, but I can see why published authors don't want unpublished authors sending them manuscripts and stuff.  If I read it and say what needs work, then they'll just keep bothering me.  Or if I say it's great they'll probably want to send me another one.  And if I write anything vaguely similar then they might claim I stole it from them.  There really aren't any good outcomes for the published author.  So if you're an unpublished author and write your favorite author, just tell them good job and don't take any reply as anything more than courtesy.  (That was pretty much what I did when I wrote John Irving and sent him a copy of Where You Belong.)

And the last one was some Twitter account for some dude making films on YouTube or some shit.  He sent me like 4 private messages about watching whatever movie of his over the last 2 1/2 years.  I never once watched any of them, commented on any of them, or showed any interest or participation in any way.  When he sends me a fifth private message, I finally say, "I don't care."  And he's like, "That's an odd response coming from a creator."

Like because I write books I have to give a shit about every dumbass "creator" who follows my Twitter.  Especially for my official Twitter account, I barely read any of it.  And they don't read my Tweets either.

Which more to the point, how many of my books has this dude read?  Zero.  How many blog posts did he read?  Zero.  But I'm supposed to do all sorts of favors for him because he's a "creator."  Creating something entitles him to send me private messages despite that again I never signed up for anything.

The thing about "social media" is it's just everyone flogging their shit while doing nothing for everyone else.  You should read my book because I'm special.  Not like I'd go read your book or even a blog post or in any way, shape, or form do anything for anyone else.  Nope, I'm way too busy for that.  Yeah, right.  Go fuck yourself and your high horse.

So anyway, even though in over two months I hardly left my apartment except maybe an hour a week to exercise the car and take out the garbage, somehow people still managed to annoy me.  Bravo!  That takes some real talent.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I once had a problem with spam posts on my blog, and also had to turn on moderation. It seems to happen to most bloggers eventually. Some people don't realize they should read your book before asking any favors. People lacking experience. Anyway, I ended up deleting my blog since I hadn't posted to it in so long. Some day I might start a new one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...