Friday, December 30, 2022

Turning Fan Fiction to Regular Fiction

 After I did the Jetfire Saga thing, I went and reread the "Apocalypse Trilogy" of The Skyfire Adventures that were the basis for especially part 2 of the Jetfire Saga thing.  And I didn't hate it as much as I feared I would.  There were a lot of comma splices and head-hopping, but the story itself wasn't too bad.  Mostly I just needed to slow it down and develop it more.  But I was 20 years old and in college and most of the time working part-time, so I didn't have a lot of time for other stuff.

Anyway, I got thinking that if I wanted, I could probably take those three stories and spin them off into a separate thing.  And really I could spin them off even further into a non-Transformers story.  

I mean the gist is a crew of explorers finds a planet with beings similar to them.  Then the planet tears itself apart and some kind of horrible thing is unleashed.  You don't need to use Transformers for any of that.  You don't even need a giant robot to be the big bad.  I personally like the giant robot to be the big bad, but it'd be easy to use a kaiju or some kind of energy thing or something like that.  The point is this planet suddenly starts coming apart and everyone has to be evacuated and then they have to fight the big bad.

The main explorer meets the female leader of the planet and while touring the planet and stuff, they fall in love.  Then they have to work together for the evacuation and fighting the big bad.  Our hero sacrifices himself to save the leader of the planet but then comes back and she sacrifices herself to save everyone--and then she comes back too.

It would be pretty easy to do as a fairly normal sci-fi story. 

I could do the same for the Voyager fanfic I wrote that was sort of an evil Lower Decks.  Basically an ambitious ensign was assigned to Voyager as a punishment and then is pissed to be stranded in the Delta Quadrant, so he leads a mutiny.  In the end he's set adrift but manages to get to Earth ahead of Voyager and starts laying the groundwork to rise to power.

Again, you could do all of that like a normal sci-fi story.  There's a ship out in space and a disgruntled dude leads a space mutiny.  Though he's set adrift, he's able to get home and make himself seem like a hero.

And you could even combine the two into a series.  Like someone gets disgruntled after the first story and then stages a mutiny against our hero of the first story.  Then there could be a third story to make it a trilogy where the disgruntled dude reaches home first and sets up a nasty welcome for our heroes.

Anyway, Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I have thought of doing the same thing because in my early writing years, I also wrote fan fiction. It was just a matter of changing things enough to make it unique. Readers tend to look for similar books to what they already like, so who knows. It might sell very well. Happy New Year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...