Monday, December 4, 2023

Before & After: Sisters In Arms

 For Veteran's Day I decided I should put my 2016 story Sisters in Arms on sale because it involves male soldiers turned into women who have to prove they still have what it takes to be soldiers.  I put the book on sale and then thought, "That cover looks kinda boring."

Back in the old days, removing a background was kind of hard unless you were a PhotoShop expert.  But now there are "AI" tools that can do it in seconds.  I've used this one a bunch because it's free unless you want the "Premium" package, which I can do without.  So I found the picture I used originally and dropped the background out.

Then on a stock photo site I found a free image of an American flag.  I put it vertically not as any kind of political statement but just so it'd fit.

And then I put the title on in a different font.  The problem with the title was at first I used a darkish green that when I loaded it to Amazon didn't show up great in smaller sizes.  So I changed the green to more of a tan and reloaded it and it looked better.

Then with some Forrest Gump logic, I thought, "Well I did one cover, so why not some more?"

A lot of the early ones I did had just plain white backgrounds because the stock photo was hard to remove the background.  Especially when I was essentially homeless from September 2014-March 2015 and was just using a cheap laptop with PowerPoint on it.  But now that I could do that, why not do it?  And make the covers a little less basic.

So for the rest of the year I'll put some before and after pictures of other covers I did.  Maybe they're better.  Maybe they're worse.  You decide!

2 comments:

Arion said...

I like the new version of the cover for Sisters in Arms !

Cindy said...

Yes, I like the new version better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...