Friday, December 1, 2023

Can "AI" Help You With That Syllabus or Blurb? Maybe Not in the Way You Think

 On some Facebook group I saw this question:

I know most authors refuse to consider AI to write books, as I understand it AI stinks at it and authors hate it, but can you use it to write a synopsis of a book? I have to write several synopsis for my books and I suck at it. Can you use AI to write them or would they be just as useless?

And I answered that I don't have a lot of experience with "AI" chatbots but the ones I've used on Bing and Chrome you can't just feed in your book and it would spit out a syllabus.  So basically you'd have to tell it your story so it could then tell you how to write the syllabus, which seems pointless.

Except then the light bulb goes off.  Maybe if you have trouble with your syllabus or blurb, you should try this as a mental exercise:  Imagine what you would tell the "AI" chatbot about your story.  Describe it in one sentence, one paragraph, and then several pages.

It can be hard for us humans to distill a story into short bits like that, but maybe if you think of a specific audience like that it might help.  Maybe.  I don't really do that stuff anymore, so if you try it and it works, let me know and I'll have an "AI" write a book about it and sell it for one million dollars on Amazon.

And now next week I'm going to close out the year with some special posts.  Brace yourself...

1 comment:

Arion said...

I have never tried to use AI for that.
But yeah writing blurbs isn't exactly my cup of tea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...