Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Everyone Has a Story...But Most Aren't Interesting

Last March the older of my two sisters died of cancer and a few times it's occurred to me that maybe I should write a story involving that.  Sort of like therapy, though my literary hero John Irving says in A Widow For One Year not to do that, though then he did that very same thing in the later Until I Find You.  That part of it isn't really my problem.

The real problem is every time I think of something I want to add more to it.  And then it occurs to me that when you add more to it, the story starts to not be true anymore.  The sticky wicket is that there was no tragic love story or dramatic speeches or stuff like you might get from Nicholas Sparks book or a Lifetime TV movie.  It seems to me that if I do add those elements in to make it more dramatic and commercial then it's just selling the idea out, cheapening it.  That's not really something I'd want to do.

Like the title says the saying is "everyone has a story" but really most stories aren't interesting because they aren't stories in the way we think of stories.  It's why every biopic you see has to dramatize events, mush characters together, or in the case of Aaron Sorkin-penned movies just make shit up because the real story isn't all that interesting dramatically.  So in The Social Network they had to invent this "one who got away" when Zuckerberg had been dating a girl since high school.  Or in A Beautiful Mind they had to invent the whole Ed Harris government agent thing.  Or in 21 where they basically only used the core concept of a group of college card counters and made up the rest.  When I watched that movie I think I said somewhere that really the documentary on the History Channel was a lot better because it wasn't filled with a bunch of commercial cliche bullshit.  It was the real story and in that case the real story was pretty interesting, at least to me.

Another movie actually deals with this subject, the Charlie Kauffman-penned Adaptation where Nicolas Cage plays a fictionalized version of Kauffman who's trying to adapt the book The Orchid Thief into a movie.  The problem is how do you make a book about orchids interesting?  He really can't and so in the end there's all this wild, cliche stuff like a twin brother and a showdown in the Everglades and stuff like that.  The point being that sure this orchid book was a story but it wasn't really the sort of dramatic story that would do much for viewers.

But I did sneak a little therapy into the Eric Filler book The Comeback where the main character goes to visit a young fan dying of cancer in the hospital.  And when the kid dies, the main character dedicates a performance to her.  It was kind of sad and like I said a little bit of therapy I guess.  Maybe that's helpful, but probably not.

I guess when you come down to it, the point of stories is two-fold:  provide lessons and entertainment.  I just don't think there is much of a lesson and it sure as hell wasn't entertaining.  I can try to make it one or both of those things, but as I said then it just cheapens what really happened.

So I guess for now I'll just keep it confined to this blog. 

That is all.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I have a story like that handed down in my family. It's a ghost story that supposedly really happened. My Mom always wanted me to write it, but I never found a way to make it work, plus it's not really in a genre I write.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

This is very true. Everyone has a story but most aren't interesting. Sometimes I wonder if the "pursuit of being interesting" or "narcissism" is destroying all of us. I had a weird epiphany regarding this as I was driving to work today and thinking of the Vegas shooter. The guy was a millionaire, had a girlfriend, was retired and considered a big fish in Nevada, and was held in high regard by family. This guy bought his mother a new walker or something just a few days before. And then he goes and commits mass murder. It got me thinking...maybe what he did was so that he could be famous. That seems to be the one thing he was missing. For a narcissist, not being recognized is like a daily dose of emotional pain. I wonder if (in the end) the whole motivation for why he did what he did is because he wanted to create an interesting story for himself. If so, we're in a lot of trouble as a society. Narcissism is on the rise and more and more people may want to be "remembered" and committing mass murder is the easiest way to do it.

Jay Noel said...

I've been so out of the loop, PT. I'm sorry about your sister.
I find that often times, the normal or mundane can still be fascinating. But you're right. I guess that's why movies based on real events/people often have to make up stuff to make for a better story.

Maurice Mitchell said...

So sorry to hear about your sister Pat. It sounds like it could be good therapy to write that story though. You're right that it would be hard to find that fine line between entertainment and lessons. Maybe in time

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...