Friday, January 26, 2018

Truth in Advertising

Something I've noticed in a few commercials recently is kind of a self-deprecating message.  For instance, Sprint began running those ads with the former "Can you hear me now?" guy from Verizon to deliver the message:  our quality is only 1% less than Verizon.  Which is a nice way of saying, we're just a little shittier but a lot cheaper!

I've seen one lately for XFinity that promises "a new culture focused on customer service."  Which is kind of saying, We sucked at customer service before, but now we're going to try giving a fuck!  Oh, hey, what a concept!

My favorite one though is for a Minnesota health insurance company that I see on the Pluto TV app while watching MST3K and Rifftrax.  (As an aside, they used to have local ads from all over the country on that app:  car commercials from California, a debt attorney from Arkansas, a state senator from New Jersey, a jeweler in Boca Raton, and some I'm not sure where they're from.  It was awesome, but lately they just show national ads.)  Anyway, in this ad a woman is blowing leaves with a leaf blower and shouts, "Finding health insurance blows!  But at least with [whatever] the search blows less! [shrug]"  So yes we admit this is going to suck, but at least with our service it won't be so terrible.  Dentists could probably use the same approach:  this is going to hurt, but at least here it will hurt less!

I have to admit I kinda like that approach.  I mean everyone else is saying they're the best, so if you admit that maybe you're not the best at least I can feel you're being honest with me.  Maybe Chevy should say, "We know our cars aren't as good as Lexus or Audi, but they're cheaper!"  Or Busch beer could say, "Our beer tastes like dog piss but you get a lot more of it for the money!" [Perfect if you're a high school or college kid looking to supply a house party!]

Maybe I should try that:  My books aren't as good as Stephen King's, but they're a lot cheaper! They aren't as good as Harry Potter but they aren't as long!  [shrugs]

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hahahah.

That's probably what many readers think already.

klahanie said...

Hi human, Pat,

Ah yes and it kinda' reminds me of the Marmite ads over here. Marmite, you either love it or you hate it. I know, what the hell is Marmite?

Pawsitive wishes,

Penny! 🐶

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...