Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Box Office Blitz Regular Season Finale!

It's the epic conclusion to the regular season of Box Office Blitz!  Remember there are spectacular prizes on the line.  Also remember that we'll be guessing on Friday-Sunday, not the whole long weekend.  At least if you have a long weekend; some poor bastards have to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday.  I never really get the Black Friday thing.  Stampeding with a bunch of other schmucks to try to get $10 off a crappy DVD player they only have 3 of doesn't seem like fun to me, especially when I can stay in my nice cozy motel room and buy stuff from Amazon without all the hassle.  And now all this crap where we can't even take 1 day off from all this madness; no we have to do it on Thanksgiving too.  You people make me sick.

But anyway, those who win the fabulous prizes will have slightly more money to buy Chinese-made crap with, so that's something.  The rest of us are just playing for playoff positioning and pride.

Meanwhile, there's like two new movies in wide release.  I wonder, does James Franco get this year's Jude Law Award for Guy Who's in a Ton of Movies in the Same Year?  There always seems to be some dude who pops up in 4-5 movies one year.  This year Franco's been in "Oz the Great & Powerful," "Spring Breakers," "This is the End," and now "Homefront."  Did I leave any out?  At least unlike when Jude Law did it back in 2004, Franco's movies weren't all bombs.  Actually I think Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has at least that many too: Snitch, GI Joe 2, Pain & Gain, and Fast & Furious 6.  His were all released within like 3 months too.  Again they weren't all bombs, so that's pretty impressive.  Though the Rock's is kind of cheating because GI JOE 2 was supposed to have been released last year and then got pushed back.

Anyway, here's the list of movies from my local megaplex (* denotes a new release)

  • 12 Years a Slave
  • Black Nativity*
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2
  • Dallas Buyer's Club
  • Delivery Man
  • Ender's Game
  • Free Birds
  • Frozen*
  • Gravity
  • Homefront*
  • Jackass: Bad Grandpa
  • Last Vegas
  • Oldboy* 
  • Philomena*
  • Rush
  • The Best Man Holiday 
  • The Book Thief*
  • The Christmas Candle*
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
  • Thor: The Dark World

 And I'll pick
  1. Hunger Games 2 $50M
  2. Frozen $30M
  3. Homefront $15M
You make your picks in the comments.

7 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

I've never understood the flurry over Black Friday, but the time I went I found it uncharacteristically pleasant. Of course I went later in the day (9:00AM) so most of the good stuff was already gone. \
1. Hunger Games Catching Fire - $60 mil
2. Frozen - $45 mil
3. Thor the Dark World - $15.7 million

Andrew Leon said...

1. Catching Fire: $90m
2. Frozen: $60m
3. Homefront: $20m

I don't do Black Friday. The last time I had any involvement was when I worked at Toys R Us something like 15 years ago.

Briane said...

I ALWAYS go out on Black Friday. Not to buy -- just to enjoy the holiday decorations and get ideas of what we might want to buy people for Christmas. Sweetie and I take whatever kids are willing to go, everyone gets lunch at a restaurant of their choice, and we enjoy the day in a relaxing manner. I only sometimes go to 'doorbuster' sales, and then only if it's something we were going to buy anyway and now can save money on.

As for my picks? I'm so far out of it!

1. Frozen, $60 mil
2. Catching fire $55 mil
3. Homefront, $20 mil.
3.

Unknown said...

1. Hunger Games Catching Fire - $100 M
2. Frozen - $60 M
3. Oldboy- $20 M

Shop smart shop S-mart

stephen Hayes said...

Like you. i just don't get Black Friday. I think the stores are just clearing out the defective stuff and merchandise no one wanted throughout the year. I'll stay home with my leftovers.

Christopher Dilloway said...

Hunger games 2 - $65m
Frozen - $50m
Homefront - $15m

Christopher Dilloway said...

I've got to work 15 hours on black friday. :( I've never understood it either, but it sure drives the basest desires of greed and rottenness among people all in the name of a couple of bucks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...