Friday, November 15, 2019

First Contact: The Next Generation

In 1996 I finished the first drafts of what later I called The Rebirth Trilogy:  First Contact, The Savior, and The Last Battle.  Was that the end of the story?  Not really.

I toyed with the idea of writing a second series.  Like Star Trek The Next Generation or more aptly the Robotech series, this series would be set years after the first trilogy.  It would involve the daughter of the main characters of the last series: Lisa Shaw and Jack Laurants.  The idea was that her parents had mysteriously disappeared and so she and some other people try to find them as the peace that has been holding through the galaxy starts to unravel from some new threat.

And eventually the new characters would probably find the old characters and they'd stop the bad guys.  Kind of like the new Star Wars trilogy only I wouldn't have to worry about actors getting old and/or dying.  That's definitely an advantage books have over movies.  Maybe after that trilogy I would have written another trilogy to really make it like Robotech with its three generations.

I'd like to tell you more about it, but I don't know what happened to the notes or anything.  I mean it was about 23 years ago and any files I had were formatted for the word processor I used to have, so even if I could find them I couldn't open them.

Like the other two this week I got busy with college and working part-time and all that so I didn't really have tons of time for writing.  I think the reason I switched to writing Transformers fanfics was that I didn't want to work on anything too serious.  But then I wound up pretty much working on nothing at all until I graduated in June 2000.

1 comment:

Arion said...

Maybe you could try to rewrite it? A next generation is always interesting

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...