Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The Cheese King of Pinconning

Here's the first story idea I've sort of thought about but haven't really done anything with.  The idea came to me when driving to Saginaw and I saw a sign for Pinconning cheese.  They're world famous--or at least state famous--for their cheese.  And having watched a lot of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax on Pluto TV I thought of a second meaning for my title.

So there's some guy I'll call Mike (after MST3K writer & host Michael J Nelson who also founded Rifftrax and is from Wisconsin) who lives in Pinconning with some buddies and he has like a YouTube show or whatever where he critiques cheesy movies and stuff with his buddies.

Then one day a new girl moves to town.  We'll call her Bridget after Michael J Nelson's wife who also wrote for MST3K and does some Rifftrax work.  Bridget thinks Mike's show is cool and they start kind of hitting it off.  Mike confesses that he'd really like to go to film school and make movies one day instead of just talking about them.

Eventually they hear about some film festival and Bridget encourages Mike to make a movie to enter it.  Which he does, hoping to impress her.  Then with his buddies he starts making a movie but of course it winds up looking like some horrible Ed Wood production.  They go to the film festival for the screening and it's kind of like The Disaster Artist where they screen The Room and everyone starts cracking up and at first Mike is hurt, but Bridget tells him that he made something special.

Mike doesn't win the festival (obviously) but he meets a guy named Joel (after MST3K creator Joel Hodgson) who offers to buy the film and distribute it on his MST3K-type show on Netflix.  And with the money Mike could go to film school--but he'd have to leave behind his buddies and Bridget.  So maybe he decides to stay in town and take classes online or something.

I'm not sure I could really write this because when I try to write something light or comedic it usually winds up skewing too dark.  If I did I'd probably change the title city.  Maybe just call it Cheese King of Wisconsin or something like that so I don't get anyone whining that my Pinconning isn't like the real thing or whatever.

2 comments:

David Powers King said...

That sounds really fun, and the title is catchy, too. You had me when you mentioned MST3K as an inspirational source. :)

Maurice Mitchell said...

It’s interesting stuff but I still don’t understand it. LOL Just me I guess

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...