Friday, June 21, 2013

Box Office Blitz Week 24!

Last week it was a superhero ruling the box office.  This week we have monsters versus zombies.  Who will win?  That's a really good question.  I honestly don't care since I don't have any interest in either movie.  I don't really have any interest in any of the big movies until "Pacific Rim" about a month from now.  Just for a little editorial here, does a prequel mean Pixar is officially out of ideas?  They've had a really long record of success but lately like the rest of Hollywood it's been sequels and now a prequel.  Can a "Toy Story" reboot be far behind?  I'm still waiting for "The Incredibles 2" which would have been a lot better than "Cars 2" I'm sure.

Anyway, by now you know how this game works.  You guess which 3 movies will rule the box office this weekend.  For each one you guess right you get 50 points.  You get a 50 point bonus if it's in the correct spot in the order.  And 500 points goes to the winner of the round.  Make sure to add a dollar amount to your guesses since that's the tiebreaker.  Get your guesses in by the end of Friday (very early Saturday at the latest).  There are prizes for everyone who participates at the end of the year, so you can get something for relatively little effort.

Here's the list of movies from my local megaplex (* denotes a new release)


  • After Earth
  • Epic
  • Fast & Furious 6
  • Iron Man 3 
  • Man of Steel 
  • Monster University*
  • Mud 
  • Now You See Me
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • The Bling Ring*
  • The Great Gatsby 
  • The Hangover 3
  • The Internship
  • The Purge
  • This is the End
  • World War Z*
  My picks this week will be:
  1. Monster University $70M
  2. Man of Steel $50M
  3. World War Z $40M
If you follow my blog and me on Blogger and Twitter then you probably know how much I enjoy rubbing it in to Michael Offutt that Prometheus came in second to Madagascar 3.  This week we seem to have a similar scenario where a live action sci-fi/horror movie is going toe-to-toe with a kid's cartoon.  So the bonus question for 222 points:  Will "World War Z" top the $51M earned by "Prometheus" its opening weekend?

Answer the bonus question along with your picks in the comments.  Results will be posted on Sunday!

6 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

1) Monsters University = $92 million
2) Man of Steel = $65 million
3) World War Z = $60 million

World War Z will top the $51 million earned by Prometheus, however, I think it could be closer if adjusted for inflation (which you aren't doing).

However, World War Z had a budget of $195 million whereas Prometheus had a total production budget of $130 million. So it's actually $65 million dollars cheaper.

I predict that World War Z will be a box office bomb when all the receipts are collected.

Andrew Leon said...

I'm going with
1. Monsters U -- $80m
but I'm going to go against what seems to be the conventional thinking here and put
2. World War Z -- $55m
and
3. Man of Steel -- $48m

I think World War Z will make more (because it will just be wrong for it not to).

Rusty Carl said...

Monsters U - $75 mil
Man of Steel - $50 mil
WWZ - $45 mil

I suppose WWZ will make less than Prometheus. I kind of agree with Michael, WWZ won't be making it's budget back domestically, but I'd wager it will do fine globally.

stephen Hayes said...

The answer to your question is---YES!

Monsters U $60 mi

World War Z $45 mil

Man of Steel $35 mil

Maurice Mitchell said...

I heard that the Pixar creators came up with all the ideas for their movies whole sitting at dinner one night. I'm guessing they ran out of those. Plus Disney is a big fan of making sequels so they're movies, so they're probably under pressure to do them.

1. Monsters U $61 mi
2. World War Z $46 mil
3. Man of Steel $35 mil

WWZ will beat Prometheus

Briane said...

1. Monster U, $50 mil
2. WWZ, $46 mil
3. Bling Ring $20 mil

I think WWZ is not going to beat Prometheus. Prometheus not only had Michael shilling for it for an entire year beforehand -- I think Ridley Scott owes him a huge favor!-- but also, I'm not sure how many people are really into Brad Pitt's zombie movie. I guess all the Walking Dead fans will go out, so that's 10 people.

"Cars 2" was a sequel before anything else because of merchandising. The Disney Marketing Machine owns Pixar, remember, and that drives the creative process there. But don't forget that "Brave" came out (and bombed, I think, even though I saw part of it and it was pretty good.)

I take the same stance with Monsters U, Prometheus, The Man Of Steel, and Star Wars Chapter 7: I don't mind continuing in the same universe if you can continue to tell entertaining stories.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...