Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Grumpy Bulldog Does America Day 21: Still Here

In case you're wondering, I'm still here, in Portland.  I survived having a broken tooth pulled out of my mouth.  Really it sounds worse than it is.  It's not that painful at all.  The most pain is actually when they inject the Novocaine into the gum.  Despite how they say it's just "a little poke" it always feels like driving one of those big deck nails in there.  After that it's just a little pressure.  Really I think it only took like 20 minutes from start to finish.

The GPS decided to give me a tour of the seedier parts of the Portland area on the way back.  So now I know where to find a bunch of strip clubs.  If I wanted to do that.

The problem yesterday was after the tooth is pulled you're supposed to put ice on it.  My room didn't have a refrigerator in it so I had to get ice from the ice machine and put it into a Ziploc bag.  It was messier and didn't work as well, but I suppose it got the job done.

Today I moved like 2 miles south to the Extended Stay to spend a week recovering.  Since I couldn't check in until 3 I hung out at a grocery store Starbucks for a couple of hours.  I got lunch at the grocery store too, some Gorgonzola tomato bisque soup from the deli and an individual cup of chocolate Hagen-Daaz.  The lunch of champions!  Since I was at the grocery store I got some supplies for the next few days.  I had some sweet basil tomato bisque soup that was good.  Maybe it's just me, but it seemed from sitting around the grocery store a lot of people wear backpacks around here.  What's up with that?

Basically the gum is tender, but not so bloody as it was yesterday.  The maddening part is staying on the soft diet, which is hard watching ESPN and seeing commercials for Wendy's and McDonald's and all that.  I'll probably start dreaming about solid food.

Here's your picture for the day, the stunning view from my motel window...of the staircase.  Really I should get a discount for the obstructed view.
 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you have me wondering where the staircase goes.
Feel better my friend.

Briane said...

I remember when Sweetie got her wisdom teeth pulled and complained about eating nothing but ice cream all week, and I said she was crazy because who wouldn't want that? Then I got MY wisdom teeth pulled and after 48 hours I was disgusted by ice cream and would have done anything for a cheeseburger.

So you have my sympathies although at least you get hot foods, too, which we were not allowed.

Backpacks are where it's at. I use a backpack every day. WAY BETTER than a briefcase: less shoulder strain, hands-free for using your phone while you walk, plus mine is a Spongebob backpack.

Andrew Leon said...

You could get solid food and blend it up.
Seriously. I had a relative that was on a soft food diet for a while, and he would, for instance, take his steak and mashed potatoes and make blender them together and drink them. He said it pretty much tasted the same.

Cindy said...

Hmm...that picture reminds me of your book. Hope you feel better fast.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

My best friend lives in Portland. It makes me want to grab a ticket, fly over there, meet you, say hello to him, and have a fun weekend before flying back to SLC.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I'll never understand why dentists tell us that shot doesn't hurt since its excruciating.

Rusty Carl said...

That is a premium view of the stairs. They might charge you extra for it.

Glad the tooth fiasco is almost over - maybe some soft bread and some hummus? Yum.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...