Sunday, September 7, 2014

Grumpy Bulldog Does America Day 6: Drugstore Cowboy

Today I went most of the way across South Dakota, from Mitchell to Rapid City.  I stopped first at a truck stop to use the bathroom and clean the windshield.  I could have seen the real General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard across the street, but I didn't.  Then I stopped at a scenic overlook for some pictures of the hills and the Badlands.

Then I went to Wall Drug.  I think they kind of oversold the place.  I guess if you wanted to buy a bunch of crappy souvenirs it would be good.  I don't really have room for souvenirs.  The "Backyard" is where more displays are.  The animatronic T-Rex was neat; I actually got there in time to watch its head move and roar.

I got lunch at the bar so I could watch football on the TVs, although the crappy Lions don't play until tomorrow night.  I remember why I don't frequent bars as it was loud and obnoxious and the service sucked.  But at least it killed enough time that I got to Rapid City in time to check in to the motel.  As fancy as this place tries to seem, it'd be nice to have a TV from this century.  Come on, even the dumpier ones I've stayed at had flat screens!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to Mount Rushmore and then Tuesday I'll leave South Dakota for Wyoming and Montana.  Huzzah.

Here are the pictures:






































































































































4 comments:

Briane said...

OK
A. I kind of think you could've just posted ONE of those landscape pictures over and over and nobody would've known the difference. That's EXACTLY what I remember South Dakota looking like from our family vacation a billion years ago.

B. I think the deal with Wall Drug is just that it's so famous for giving out water years and years ago when that was a big deal. But you and I disagree on tourist traps, I think.

C. WHY WAS THERE NO SELFIE WITH THE BUFFALO?

D. WHY WAS THERE NO PICTURE OF THE ANIMATRONIC T-REX?

You owe your readers an animatronic t-rex.

Jay Noel said...

That's a lot of pictures!

Okay, that oil rig-thingy looks like the skeleton of a T-Rex!

What's up with that jackolope? Those things both fascinate and scare me. The idea of being able ride one is just too freaky to imagine.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Those dinosaurs are awesome but that bison is wicked looking. Great pics.

Andrew Leon said...

I wanna see the dinosaurs...
And ride the jackalope.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...