Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Action Figures I Don't Like: ReAction Skyfire

 Similar to my entry on Monday, it's not so much the figure I hate, as the value of the figure--or lack thereof.  ReAction is a small company that makes old-school figures from popular properties like Alien, Halloween 2, Child's Play 2, Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Robotech, and Transformers.  They also do other stuff like wrestlers, rock bands, and cult movies like They Live.  An ad for the Transformers figures showed up on my Facebook feed and when I saw the second series included Skyfire (the cartoon version of Jetfire) I went to their site and bought him and the Alpha Trion figure.

And a couple of weeks later or so the figures showed up.  I hadn't really done enough research on these because I didn't realize they really don't have much articulation or anything.  The detail is OK but they just move the shoulders and top of the legs.  They're basically like the old Star Wars figures from the late 70s and early 80s.  No bending elbows or "kung-fu grip" like the GI JOE figures and their ilk.  So there's not really much you can do with them.


What's worse is they're $18 apiece!  Almost the same price as Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, GI JOE Classified Missions, or McFarlane DC Multiverse figures that are more than twice the size.  And obviously those figures have a lot better articulation and accessories and stuff--except the ones I mentioned in my previous entry.

I get they're a small company and these are small batches so the price needs to be higher, but it still just kinda sucks.  I will say the artwork on the boxes is nice and I love, love, loved that the Alpha Trion figure has a vinyl cape like the old Star Wars figures.  What I didn't like was how easily I could twist his hand off when I was trying to put a weapon in it.  I glued it back on recently, though it'd probably come off again if I drop it or try to put anything in it.


Vinyl Cape!!!

Anyway, I do like the look of the Skyfire one, especially compared to the Robotech Veritech ones they made that had a weird top-heavy look.  It's kind of neat to have him on the shelf with my other Jetfires and you can see he's the same size as the Generation 2 one I bought for probably less than $6 in the mid-90s.

It's just like my previous entry where sometimes you really need to consider the value of what you're buying.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...