Thursday, April 1, 2021

A to Z Challenge: Ackbar

 Most people these days know Ackbar as the "It's a Trap!" fish guy.  Growing up that line was never really a big deal.  It was just part of the movie.  It wasn't until meme culture took hold that it became a big deal, to the point they named the third Family Guy special after it.  (In that Ackbar was played by Klaus the fish in American Dad.)

Anyway, Ackbar is a Mon Calamari who first appeared in Return of the Jedi.  Later he appeared in the sequel trilogy movies and on The Clone Wars series.  One of the first Black Series figures I remember seeing of him was a two-pack with a generic First Order officer both from The Last Jedi.  The last time I went to Toys R Us they still had dozens of that two-pack for $30 minus whatever the discount was at the time.  I probably should have got it, but it was lame.


It's a trap!

More recently they made the more traditional one from Return of the Jediwhich would be neat to have, though like some of them it doesn't really have much for accessories or anything, just a gun.  It's one I'd buy if I could get it cheap.

In the old days my brother and I had at least one Ackbar figure.  I remember one time we were playing with them and I think we had them fighting the GI Joe figures and we did a bit where when someone threatens to kick Ackbar between the legs and he's like, "You can't hurt me; I'm an alien!"  And then someone kicks him there and he doubles over in pain.  Rim shot.

3 comments:

Christopher Dilloway said...

I thought we had at least two of them...because I remember one had a slight variation in the tan color on his outfit...one was a little darker than the other.

It's too bad Ackbar appeared in TLJ, because like most things connected to that film, it was pointless and stupid and he died stupidly. :(

Arion said...

"It's a trap!" is such a popular meme
I like the second action figure !

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

I've always loved Admiral Akbar, even from the first time seeing him when I was just a kid (long before meme culture!)
Black and White: E for Eden

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...