Friday, April 2, 2021

A to Z Challenge: Boba Fett

Boba Fett was one of the most popular characters in Star Wars history from the time he debuted in the incredibly awful, ill-conceived "Holiday Special."  That Boba Fett was animated crudely and a bit different than the one who was later seen in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

While a lot of people loved him (the guy who does those Toy Galaxy videos has over 500 Fett action figures!) I was never really that into  him.  I know we had a few of the original Kenner action figures, though not the mythical one with a shooting missile, but he was never my favorite.  I mean, he had a neat suit but what did he really do?  In Empire he pretty much just stands around and flies his ship.  In Return of the Jedi he ties Luke up briefly and then gets dumped into the Sarlaac pit. 

I wasn't one of those people who really needed to see him in the prequels (as Jango Fett) or needed essentially what are now fanfics bringing him back to life.  But then with The Mandalorian Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni decided to give people what they wanted by bringing Boba back to life.  Hooray.

Meanwhile there have naturally been more than a few Fett figures.  There was an exclusive "prototype" figure that is basically how he looks in the shitty Holiday Special

There's a figure of Jango Fett


And now there's a 40th Anniversary regular Boba Fett that looks more like the original figure.  Plus of course there are a lot of Mandalorian figures now.  So if you love the Fett man, there's plenty to choose from--and I'm sure a lot more to come with him getting his own show on Disney+.  I would like one of the normal ones, but it'll probably be too expensive.

Happy Life Day!

6 comments:

Iain Kelly said...

Like you, I never really saw the big deal - until The Mandalorian came along and now I can't wait for the new Boba series!
https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/02/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-b/

Christopher Dilloway said...

the onl neat part of having him back in the Mando show was they got the actor who played Jango Fett in Ep 2. Boba Fett was and is overrated. At least he didn't get ruined with an appearance in Ep 8 lol

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I was an early adopter of the hype. I saved up my proofs of purchase and sent off for my Boba Fett. I didn't get the one with the spring loaded missile, but I did get one. I still have him near my desk some 40+ years later.

I loved The Mandalorian and Fett showing up in it made my year to be honest!

Looking forward to to what you do all month.

--
Tim Brannan, The Other Side: 2021: The A to Z of Monsters

Computer Tutor said...

I'm more of a Star Trek person than Star Wars but I know lots of the SW characters. Somehow missed this one. Interesting stuff.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

The Star Wars universe when it was first starting out could do whatever they wanted because it was all "world building." But as time went on, things that people see as Star Wars needed to be seen again because the grace period of "world building" was over. So Boba Fett, lightsabers, X-Wings, and silly out of the way places that control things like the Death Star shields with no safety rails to keep you from falling into a bottomless pit...are now things you need to see to believe you are watching a "Star Wars" anything.

Sean I said...

Interesting Topic. My knowledge of the Star Wars world is fairly limited so this will be educational

Sean
hisandherhobbies.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...