Friday, April 7, 2023

A to Z Challenge: The Flash

Flash Facts: The Flash has been around for a long time, since the Golden Age of Comics in the 1940s.  But that was Jay Garrick, who was absorbed into the Justice Society of America.  The Barry Allen/Wally West Flash people remember didn't come along until the "Silver Age" reboot of the 1950s.

I have a couple of Flash figures that I got in a two-pack from Target.com.  The 2-pack has a Rebirth comic book version and also a Justice League (original) movie version.  I think I got mine for like $22 and then I was bummed when I saw it in a store for only like half that.  But it's still a good price for two figures.  They come with backgrounds and fake plastic lightning and the movie one has a normal head you can put on:


McFarlane makes some Flash figures but I'm not a huge Flash fan, so I haven't gotten any of those.  The comics and movie ones look pretty much like what I have.  The TV show one they did doesn't look too different either and since it doesn't have a Grant Gustin head, there didn't seem much point to it.


Mattel made a Jay Garrick from the TV show a few years ago:


Mattel also made a Wally West in one of their last series but it's probably too expensive now:


McFarlane has made some Flash figures for the Justice League movie and the animated show.  They also made a couple of Jay Garricks:



The first one is from "Speed Metal" that was a stupid spinoff of Dark Nights: Death Metal.  The second one is a traditional one from how he really would have looked in the 40s.

I also have a crappy Dark Knight Returns 2 version where his costume is black and he looks like he's wearing shorts for some stupid reason.  I saw it a couple of times at Ollie's stores near me and passed but then I saw it at the one in Bay City and figured it was by then my last chance, so fuck it.  He came with a tiny Atom figure and weirdly an old man Bruce Wayne head that I recolored the hair on for a Kingdom Come Superman head:


And here are some other random ones they had on Amazon just to give you an idea of some of the other stuff out there:

They'll have more out for the movie in June.  This is the complete movie set featuring regular Flash, Batfleck, Keaton Batman, Supergirl, Flash wearing a redeco'd Batsuit, and "Dark Flash."  The latter seems like a spoiler for the movie.



 If you really want the Keaton Batman, you can order this whole set for $100 on the McFarlane website.  Then maybe resell the other ones to recoup some of your money. Might end up cheaper than trying to just buy the one figure on eBay or other sites.

So there.  If you were the Flash, you could have sped through this entry in about 0.000001 seconds.

1 comment:

Maurice Mitchell said...

These could have been really cool with the lightning but if they don't look like the actors there's not much point. I see what McFarlane is going for though. I might jump on that Keaton eBay train. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...