Saturday, April 15, 2023

A to Z Challenge: Mera & Other Atlanteans

While it probably would have made more sense to do Martian Manhunter here, I didn't have another J I wanted to use and I already used Azrael for A so let's talk about Atlanteans!

Mera is Aquaman's girlfriend or sometimes wife and sometimes the mother of his child.  I'm not really sure where they're at with that right now.

I have the original Justice League version from Mattel that was pretty cheap:


I gave a couple of Barbie-type ones to my nieces, so by now they're probably in pieces in a closet or something.  There are other movie figures of Mera and there will probably be more with new movies.

Mattel did make one for the Aquaman solo movie:


I also have a few figures of her boyfriend/husband Aquaman.  I have two of the movie figures, one I bought on clearance from Meijer and one from Amazon Vine.  The bare-chested is from BvS and the shark one is from his solo movie:



From Vine I also got a three-pack with his brother and one of those crab people:


And I also got Willem Dafoe's character Vulko on a different shark:


McFarlane has made a couple of Aquaman ones too:


And recently they did a "Page Punchers" wave with Aquaman, Aqualad, Black Manta, and Ocean Master, but not Mera.  I don't think McFarlane has done a Mera yet but they probably will for Aquaman 2 in a few months.

They also made a Flashpoint one exclusive to some store.  From the buzz cut, black gloves/trousers, and screaming face you can probably already tell he's a bad guy in that alternate universe.  In that timeline, Atlantis is at war with the Amazons, which has devastated much of the planet.


Considering Aquaman is not really my favorite movie I have a lot of shit from it.  But I wanted a more traditional Aquaman too.  I would have liked the Superfriends one but it was never at any Ollie's near me when I was there.  And never really cheap on Amazon.



I did find this DC Direct one for like $8:


I don't really like the face and the legs are a little too splayed, but it's OK for a non-Jason Momoa one.

And I also have "the Drowned" which is a gender swapped Batman from an alternate universe who inserted Atlantean DNA into herself so she could kill them.  It was part of the Dark Knights:  Metal series.  She was pretty cheap on Amazon and Walmart so I finally got her from one of them:


I really wish they made Kaldur'ahm from Young Justice because he's awesome in that show.  This "Aqualad" from the comics is pretty close as I think they based it on Kaldur'ahm, but it's not the exact same:


Arr, that be a lot of ocean-dwelling heroes, matey!

2 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I always rather liked Mera.

Cindy said...

Those sharks look impressive with their armor.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...