Saturday, April 22, 2023

A to Z Challenge: Supers

It's too bad S falls on a Saturday because no one will probably read this.  Not that they would on a weekday.  Anyway, like with Spider-Man, Deadpool, and Wolverine, it took a little while for me to get a normal Superman figure.

I'm not sure which one I got first, but I got a couple of the Mattel ones that were different variants.  One was the "Doomed" variant where Superman is infected with a virus turning him into Doomsday:


Another is the Earth-23 Superman who's sort of Barack Obama Superman as he's black and he's president, but he's also Superman!  This version has actually continued to stick around in comics like Infinite Frontier and some version of him was supposed to show up in a show on HBO Max, but the Discovery merger kind of screwed that up.


I also have the Dark Knight Returns version that's chunkier than the regular kind:


I also have the Kingdom Come Superman who's supposed to be older but I wasn't happy with his head so I recolored it myself with some Wite-Out:



From the Five Below in Novi I got the BvS Superman who's actually not that bad a resemblance of Henry Cavill but for some reason he comes with a weird gold shield:


I finally got the McFarlane Action Comics #1000 Superman, which is a really great basic model.  Not that he's basic; I mean he has a flight stand and extra hands.  I just mean he's a regular Superman, not any of the variations.  So he's pretty cool:



I got the Red Son Superman that's kind of the same but with the different suit to represent the Soviet-born Superman and a slightly different head:


And here are some other variations that I don't have:


I mentioned in the first entry that I bought this weird 4-pack from the late 90s or something off eBay.  It had a weird AzBats, a crappy regular Batman, a crappy regular Superman, and Superman "Red" from the brief period where he was two separate energy beings--the "Blue" one came first so I'm not sure why they made the red one.  I don't think Mattel or McFarlane made either "Blue" or "Red" in the DC Multiverse line yet.  Anyway, here are the Superman ones:



I also have a Supergirl from the TV show.  This is the first season where she had the skirt before the PC Police demanded she have pants or whatever:


And there's a McFarlane version of evil Superboy from Infinite Crisis:


And a Jon Kent (Superman's son) from Future State that has an ugly face--at least to me:

There probably aren't as many Superman variants as Batman ones, but there are still plenty of them.  You'd think with the 30th anniversary of the Death of Superman story they could have made the "Reign of the Supermen" characters:  Steel, Superboy, Eradicator, and Cyborg Superman.  I don't think they've really made a Steel figure for a long time.  Or his daughter.  Lana Lang was also briefly "Superwoman" but I don't think they made a figure of that either.  So there's definitely a lot more they could do.

They did sort of make a Superboy and Eradicator, though maybe not the exact 90s versions, so I guess they're halfway there:


And here's just some other ones they made from Future State, where Superman was a gladiator on "Warworld;" Speeding Bullets where essentially the Waynes adopted Clark Kent and so Superman becomes Batman; and Hush where Superman is briefly possessed by Poison Ivy until Batman kicks his ass with a Kryptonite ring:


And here's a Target Exclusive from Flashpoint comics.  It's an alternate universe where Superman's rocket was captured by the government so he's been raised in a lab where they kept him out of the sun so he's all scrawny and weak until Barry Allen and Thomas Wayne rescue him:

It's super-duper!

4 comments:

Christopher Dilloway said...

The Super Friends one would have been cool to have as would the Supergirl. I think the only Superman figure I have is a 4" one from that line of smaller figures that's at walmart and target. Of course, the best one to get would be a Christopher Reeve one

Arion said...

I didn't know you could get all of them. I like the Red Son Superman !

C. D. Gallant-King said...

Superman has always been one of my favourite heroes. I really liked some of the spin-offs that came after the Death & Life of Superman series in the 90s (particularly Steel and their version of Superboy). The original, comic version of Steel. The Shaq movie was terrible. The Kingdom Come costume is my favourite version though.

And Supergirl switched to pants in the TV series at the request of the actress. They filmed in Vancouver in the fall/winter so it was way too f***ing cold to wear a skirt. :-P

Cindy said...

The Superman in black has a cool back story. That could make a good series.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...