Thursday, April 7, 2022

A to Z Challenge: Firestar

 I remember watching Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends in the 80s on TV.  I think it might have been on NBC Saturday mornings, but don't quote me.  I think the basic premise was to sort of compete with Superfriends, so besides Spider-Man they had to come up with some Amazing Friends.  Iceman was part of the X-Men at various times, and he probably teamed up with Spidey sometimes in comics.

Firestar I don't think existed before the show.  As you'd guess, she has fire powers.  When I saw they had a figure of her coming out, it went to the top of my wish list.  And it doesn't really disappoint.  She's got multiple heads, flames you can put on her hands, a little dog, and even a headquarters background to stand her in front of, though I prefer hanging mine up like she's flying.


The character was popular enough from the TV show that she was added to the comics, though I don't think she's ever carried her own title--at least not for long.  But she'll pop up in Spidey comics or other series from time-to-time.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guess the dog was her pet?
I don't remember that cartoon, but most of my Saturday morning watching was done in the early to mid 70's. (And yes, I was a big fan of Superfriends.)

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I loved Firestar! Yes she did not exist before the show, but she was modeled after Peter's girlfriend Mary Jane Parker.

The dog was named Ms. Lion and she was largely comic relief.

--
Timothy S. Brannan
The Other Side | A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

Cindy said...

I never heard of her, but since she has a dog that's an instant like for me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...